Author Topic: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life  (Read 182701 times)

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
Re: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life
« Reply #700 on: July 31, 2021, 10:54:15 PM »
Awesome news on the cancer front.

Then again, they made the deadly mistake of underestimating your resilience.

Also, you should sell the rights to that story to HBO. I'm sure they can turn that into a series somehow.

And make the HBO contact stipulate that Kuroimaken has to play your role....

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #701 on: July 31, 2021, 11:13:07 PM »
Congrats on the sans cancer
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: August 01, 2021, 03:37:31 PM »
Awesome news on the cancer front.

Then again, they made the deadly mistake of underestimating your resilience.

Also, you should sell the rights to that story to HBO. I'm sure they can turn that into a series somehow.

And make the HBO contact stipulate that Kuroimaken has to play your role....
That would be a real shot in the arm for my nonexisting acting career!

Although it might shift the tone from comedy drama to comedy action.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: August 24, 2021, 12:05:11 PM »
Why in the bloody fuck do I always fall for the ones with serious abusive exes and massive codependent relationships with them they can't break... :banghead :banghead :banghead :shakefist :shakefist :shakefist

:beathorse

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: August 27, 2021, 07:28:58 AM »
So aside from the above gloriously imploding thus far as expected, I'm || to hanging my DM at work by his own entrails after he fed the GM a line of bullshit about promotion criteria.  Overnight crew does more work in half a shift than the entire day team combined doubled and yet he has the AUDACITY to fucking promote new hires over us AND THEN FUCKING PUT THEM IN CHARGE OF THE OVERNIGHT SHIFT.  He's fucking dead.  I've fucking had it.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: August 27, 2021, 11:10:31 AM »
Welp, my sister is up to her usual shenanigans.

After basically holding our non-existing sibling relationship hostage for god knows how long (after she had the audacity to come after me while I was in a hospital with kidney stones the year before last) she blew up at me last year. Now, a couple weeks ago, our dad had to be hospitalized (combination COVID, pulmonary infection aggravated by his Parkinson's). And then she basically did everything she could to become the sole source of information for it by playing the dutiful daughter and remaining the sole point of contact for doctors and nurses alike. At one point, we were supposed to discuss DNR procedures (it was that bad) and she didn't want to talk. Thankfully, my dad has gotten MUCH better since and both me and his wife have gotten in touch with hospital staff and straightened things out, but my sister still needs to be held accountable for her shit - and she needs to change to an actual goddamned therapist like yesterday.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: August 28, 2021, 11:51:20 PM »
hugs to all  :hug :hug :hug

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 20, 2021, 02:05:19 PM »
I am absolutely SEETHING right now.

My policy for creative works is that I retain the rights to the work until the client accepts them and wishes to use them for a commercial purpose. Normally this is easy to enforce since I have complete control over the files and hand them over as part of the billing process.

I was hired to work on a game. The project was vastly outside of the stated scope, so it ended up eating almost a YEAR.

Due to mismanagement, there was a severe crunch period in the last few days where procedure was basically suspended and files were flying everywhere so the correct people could get stuff done. The game was submitted before the bill was paid.

I was told that I'm charging too much, and wouldn't be paid. I charge federal minimum wage. Even if I charged him JUST for the time spent in biweekly meetings, it'd be hundreds of dollars.

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 20, 2021, 02:53:22 PM »
I am absolutely SEETHING right now.

My policy for creative works is that I retain the rights to the work until the client accepts them and wishes to use them for a commercial purpose. Normally this is easy to enforce since I have complete control over the files and hand them over as part of the billing process.

I was hired to work on a game. The project was vastly outside of the stated scope, so it ended up eating almost a YEAR.

Due to mismanagement, there was a severe crunch period in the last few days where procedure was basically suspended and files were flying everywhere so the correct people could get stuff done. The game was submitted before the bill was paid.

I was told that I'm charging too much, and wouldn't be paid. I charge federal minimum wage. Even if I charged him JUST for the time spent in biweekly meetings, it'd be hundreds of dollars.

I have 3 days off coming up and Kali Linux on a USB stick with option to re-gather proxies and arm up metasploit...just saying >.>

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 20, 2021, 03:47:40 PM »
IANAL, but Cali has a simplified Small Claims procedure for civil claims up to $10k: https://www.courts.ca.gov/1062.htm

You don't need an attorney for small claims, so if the agreement and work is well-documented in writing, you are good to go. Save every bit of evidence you can, especially if you are likely to lose access to them such as any messages on private social media groups.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 20, 2021, 03:56:43 PM »
IANAL, but Cali has a simplified Small Claims procedure for civil claims up to $10k: https://www.courts.ca.gov/1062.htm

You don't need an attorney for small claims, so if the agreement and work is well-documented in writing, you are good to go. Save every bit of evidence you can, especially if you are likely to lose access to them such as any messages on private social media groups.

VERY poorly documented, since I originally joined the project as a favor and wasn't expecting it to be a 40hr/week ordeal.
Short version is that discord chat logs ~88 hours of meetings, and my most direct coworker was present for ~440 hours of work. I'm willing to consider the other 1320 hours unbillable due to neither party keeping mutually recognized timekeeping records, but the meetings and billable hours still come out to almost $4,000

The thing is, my service agreement is that I keep the rights to my work, the client keeps the rights to the finished product regardless of pay. If the project succeeds they have the money to buy the project files and continue it with or without me. If the project flops I keep the files and use them for my own personal projects. This means a contract has pretty much no bearing on the transaction. They want to have their cake and eat it too, refusing to pay but demanding the project files and a transition period to replace me.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 03:58:15 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 20, 2021, 04:12:26 PM »
So they are making money off the project? And you have logs proving that you put dozens of hours into the project?
As I said, save-save-save everything.

$4k is way too much good money to surrender to thieves and looters without some fight.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 20, 2021, 04:33:35 PM »
So they are making money off the project? And you have logs proving that you put dozens of hours into the project?
As I said, save-save-save everything.

$4k is way too much good money to surrender to thieves and looters without some fight.

The project was kickstarter funded and has been released both online and in brick and mortar stores. My agreement with them isn't to the rights of the finished project, just the ability to keep the effort I spent on their project for personal use in lieu of payment. They are trying to get my project files as well as the product.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 20, 2021, 08:45:31 PM »
The problem has been resolved. He asked for only a single file that he paid for outright, instead of the entire project. With this, I'm letting go.  :rolleyes

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: November 26, 2021, 06:32:28 PM »
I am more angry with Kaiser right now than I've been with any form of medical care in decades.

My last two therapists have moved on, one quitting to open a private practice, and another moving to group therapy. Both cited Kaiser not allowing them enough time to give appropriate levels of individual care.

My care is now being outsourced. Last time they tried this they LOST so many patients they had to cancel the contract with the outsourcing agency. They already lost me once this time around, and I am not expected to have any kind of functional care for months.

My psychiatrist removed me from her ongoing care list, and when I was re-added, I'm apparently being put through some sort of intake process again because I got a recommendation for Lithium and some labs prescribed that showed the same shit they have for years (slightly low "good" cholesterol, slightly unbalanced thyroid function, and a vitamin D deficiency due to only really functioning at night). I've got no problem taking a vitamin D supplement. I have a problem with decades of records and data being ignored in favor of a suggestion to adopt a Mediterranean diet.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: November 26, 2021, 10:51:12 PM »
So many people at work have been fired that I have been promoted to shift lead.  At least the raise will be nice.

Offline Psysama

• Personal Pizza
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dnd-wiki.org
« Reply #716 on: December 17, 2021, 01:13:31 AM »
I found the perfect present for my wife.  The problem is I can't afford it.  Currently $139, but I spend $200 in fuel a month because of how far I have to drive. :sobbing
Signature here.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: December 17, 2021, 11:33:40 AM »
Wow, it does look beautiful.

Is it just me or are most problems we have in this thread money-related? I need to become a billionaire already.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: December 17, 2021, 01:24:55 PM »
Wow, it does look beautiful.

Is it just me or are most problems we have in this thread money-related? I need to become a billionaire already.

I'm entering my contests (of which I post a daily one on the Discord) so I'm working on becoming a millionaire!

Granted, if I win a million dollars I probably wouldn't tell anyone.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: December 17, 2021, 09:49:14 PM »
[...]

Granted, if I win a million dollars I probably wouldn't tell anyone.

Hey everyone, Nanshork is a secret millionaire!!1ยก
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew