Author Topic: Chapter 1: Introductions - An Arcane Heirophant Did It!  (Read 14468 times)

Offline dman

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Chapter 1: Introductions - An Arcane Heirophant Did It!
« on: July 06, 2021, 06:20:09 PM »
[DARKNESS]

[FLASH]
(click to show/hide)

[FLASH]
(click to show/hide)

[FLASH]
(click to show/hide)

[FLASH]

[FLASH]

[FLASH]

[FLASH]

[FLASH]
[FLASH]
[FLASH]
[FLASH]
[FLASH]
[LIFE!]
(click to show/hide)

You’re alive!

Upon your epiphany, the entire suspension heaves and ejects you forcibly onto a hard stone ground.  After a fit of shaking and coughing to clear your crevasses of the goopy green strings you become aware of four other beings with which you feel an odd kinship dealing with a similar experience in your midst...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 07:30:09 PM by dman »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 1: Introductions - An Arcane Heirophant Did It!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 02:36:29 PM »
It took a few more attempts to shake off all of the goop--honestly, looking back up at it, why was she in such a cavernously gigantic container?--before Áine felt confident enough to get a proper vantage point and take to the air, where she could actually look down on the others... and flitter between them, one tiny cold finger poking them in the cheeks, or where she assumed a cheek must be in any case where there was a current lack of face. "Hey, wake up! This is no time to be lying around, there's... stuff to do! Probably!"

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 03:07:54 PM »
Catlynn opens her eyes.

"Why is...food talking? Am I still asleep?"
Hmm.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 03:16:23 PM »
The diminutive fairy-creature puffs herself up... rather unthreateningly, but it's the thought that counts, and hovers over Catlynn. "I am not food! Try it and I'll freeze your tongue off, then you'll be sorry!"

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 03:40:12 PM »
"Smaller than me...so food. Talks....so person...so not food. I am confused..."

She shakes her head violently. "Well, you say you aren't food, so I won't eat you. I am Catlynn. You can call me Lynn."
Hmm.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 05:20:36 PM »
A large man with skin the color of thunderclouds and long, shaggy hair and beard of a similar, albeit lighter, shade slowly sits himself up.

Thoughts are jumbled, words struggling to form.

Soon, things become clearer, and language begins to take shape.

"Where...? Who...? What...? "

He grasps his head in his hands, willing the world to stop spinning around him.

"Where am I? Who am I? What is happening?"

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 06:07:29 PM »
The rock...man...thing scrapes as much of the goo off of itself as possible.

"What is there to do?"

Offline dman

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 12:52:39 AM »
You notice the fifth presence that you sensed.  A noble, muscular humanoid's brow is furrowed in concentration.  His eyes and arms burn with the power that he's channeling into a tremendous semi-solid brain covered in slime at his feat.  The brain quivers as positive energy is channeled across it's surface, but when the humanoid stops it lies limp and unresponsive in the goo.  The noble one gasps for breath at his exertion and turns aside with stoic resignation.

(click to show/hide)

"Unfortunate..."

"The incorporeality proved to be more problematic than anticipated..."

Quickly recovering his composure the humanoid speaks.  "Forgive me, brothers and sisters.  I am called Proteon the First of the Children of Daragon - Keeper of the Seventh Extraplanar Perfection." 

At the sound of 'Daragon' you sense a profound stirring of admiration and purpose in your being...

"The confusion is understandable.  You are awake and well it appears.  For that we can all be grateful.  For you have been created for a purpose.  Our creator Daragon was one of an adventuring party which set out with the hope of stopping the tyranny of the 5-headed dragon and her champion Azar Khul."  He pauses and looks down.  "They failed to stop the hordes of evil that have swept through the land and even now are encroaching on our last stronghold of solitude."  He looks pointedly at you.  "Each of you has been crafted for strength, subtlety, speed, and stewardship with the hope that you will succeed where they failed..."

As Proteon speaks a busy cadre of humanoid matrons dressed in robes enter from a door in the east.  Half are thin, pale in complexion, and possessed of soft features with the notable exception of their very large noses, and the other half are burly, orange-skinned, and otherwise set apart by their rather large teeth.  Each is armed with numerous towels.  They split into groups, and proceeding with practiced efficiency dowse each of you with decanters that pour fourth pleasantly warm water and rubb you clean and dry with towels.

"Any questions thus far?"
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 12:54:44 AM by dman »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 11:22:40 AM »
"mmph."

Maybe once she stops being smothered with towelling.

Offline dman

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 05:56:42 PM »
"We live in Castle Edinstvo (won from its formerly undead owner Amery Vraath), and these lands, known as Elisir Vale, used to be the settlement frontier for the Kingdom of Dobaron.  Azar Khul raised an army the likes of which has not been seen in this realm before and with his dark counselors managed to summon Tiamat herself for a time.  With the backing of the Queen of Dragons and his other foul generals his highly organized army was able crush this land.  The surrounding kingdoms have been caught up in their own wars and any that have ventured to the aid of Dobaron have been repulsed.  That has been sometime ago, and now his lords, dragons, and other monstrous opportunists have grown restless and vie with each for territory and power.  This development poses new risks for us, but also new opportunities.  Through magic and subterfuge we have managed to keep this stronghold secret, but the greedy captains to the north and south have been pushing into the wilderness to expand their territory.  Soon we will no longer have the luxury of hiding."

Proteon smiles.

"That is why I propose that you take the fight to them...  Their greed and ambition are their weakness.  You could sneak behind enemy lines, set them against each other, turn them to our cause, and ultimately... I believe we can turn Azar Khul's army against him and free the land.  It is of utmost importance that you proceed without drawing attention to us here.  Khul is no fool and if his savvier generals catch wind of our operation things will become very complicated very quickly."

The matrons leave you spic and span. 

Proteon pauses for questions.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 01:33:00 PM by dman »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 09:54:31 AM »
The giant pauses. The influx of information did little to clear the haze and confusion in his mind.

Suddenly, something in his psyche snapped into place, and his mood stabilized in an instant. The giant shrinks down to moderate, humanoid-size, albeit still taller than the average human; his hair become shorter and his beard disappears.

"Ah... clarity. Finally! So, I take your proposal to mean we were... created, as you put it, as tools of war. Tools must have some purpose, and our purpose is to free these lands from the oppressive conquest of this 'Azar Khul.' Straight-forward so far. However, we do not know the region. We do not know the world. We're... minutes old, it seems, although clearly some knowledge has been pre-written into our minds."

He pauses a moment.

"If we are to fight your war, where do you propose we start?"

Offline dman

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2021, 04:09:37 PM »
"Technically... you are my ...offspring, and we and our descendants were created to serve the will of Daragon by his judicial appeal to the djinni noble Hulallo, and I can confidently say that from the time I spent with our creator he would regard you as worthy individuals rather than mere tools, but as our 'father' is either dead, captured, or uninterested in us at the moment I suggest this would be the best way to recover the good hierophant, ensure our continued thriving, and free the good people of Elisir Vale. 

As to where to begin? 

I understand it the Red Hand has divided it's rule into districts under the supervision of local captains who in turn answer to regional lords who then answer to the overlords or generals.  Our compound has managed to avoid attention thanks in part thanks to magic, a carefully managed buffer of wild monsters, and the inside knowledge of our very own captain Krusk Kravax."   

While talking Proteus scoops up the dripping brain, expertly cradling the slippery insubstantial form, before gingerly walking across the room slipping it back into an empty green tank.   "But Castle Edinstvo lies in something of a no man's land between two districts - one to the north and one to the south - and the restless captains have been pushing further and further into our territory in order to gain a strategic advantage over the other.  Captain Kravax may have more information, but as I understand it the district to our north is more heavily fortified and the district to our south has been probing more aggressively to gain a foothold here.  I suggest that you choose one and go from there."

"Ah..."  Proteon exclaims as your hear a series of clicks coming from the east side of the room.  A familiar gushing sound brings with it a sense of deja-vu as another goo-covered form plops out onto the floor.  "This one took a little longer than I thought."  He observes.

As if waiting for a moment to pounce the wash ladies are upon him, and as they are finishing their work a smartly dressed, slim, large-nosed humanoid strides into the room with a train of helpers and a cart loaded with apparel.  "Setslom Twips at your service.  I have prepared a selection of raiment in accordance with the finest taste.  Please select according to your inclinations and let me know if anything requires alteration."

While the good tailor is working with you.  A large orange-skinned humanoid in a greasy apron rolls in a cart laden with exotic foods.  "It is with deepest pride and greatest pleasure that we welcome you, tonight. We invite you to relax and pull up a chair as the dining staff proudly presents your dinner..."   

(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 04:15:05 PM by dman »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2021, 04:14:31 PM »
The fluttering fairy spends barely any time on clothing, trusting that her natural charm is more than apparent. Perhaps true, even, for anyone with a telescope to make such observations. Mostly, it's just an annoyingly movement-prone pale figure.

"So, this Red Hand... are their hands red?"

Offline dman

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2021, 04:20:19 PM »
Proteon grimaces at the little beauty in front of him as he nibbles on a green and purple marbled mushroom but does not condescend to change his even tone. "They like to cover a place they have conquered with hand prints stained red by the blood of their enemies."   

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2021, 09:32:54 PM »
Seeing the giant change his size, Ijol concentrates and changes from being a rockmanthing to a man who is partially made out of rock.  He completely ignores the food entirely and grabs the minimal amount of clothing to meet the needs of modesty.  Anyone paying attention to him also notices that he is not breathing.

"Going places and killing people seems to be within my abilities.  I feel a quiet rage bubbling within me like lava waiting to erupt."

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2021, 09:55:45 AM »
The cat girl quietly raises the hand.

"Umm...so, are the dragons tasty? Dragons aren't people, so they should be okay to eat?"
Hmm.

Offline dman

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2021, 05:07:54 PM »
"You may find out soon enough!"  A hulking horned minotaur enters the room.  His large hooves clack against the stone floor with the purposeful cadence of authority.  The arcane lights from the lab dance across the mirrored sheen of crosses and suns on his thick, custom full-plate. "No doubt she'll be happy to feast on you if you give her a chance."  His eyes bare down on each of you -probing- as if he could read your strengths and weaknesses from his calculating gaze.
(click to show/hide)

<SNORT>  "Over the past three days we've sighted a huge dragon soaring in the sky.  There are patches of acid melted vegetation and the remains of band of trolls 9 miles to the south east.  She's looking for a place to claim - no doubt before Gangor Crum and his hobgoblins prepare to make a move on the region.  Whether she working with or against him is hard to tell."

"Captain Kravax, everyone." Proteon motions by way of introduction.

The Captain continues.  "I hate to throw a bunch of green recruits at such a potentially wily opponent...  But letting her get a foothold will only complicate our situation - even if she were to provide a buffer to Crum.  At any rate when you're done with your little tea party..."

"Captain, They've only been awake for a few minutes." Proteon interjects.

<SNORT>  Kravax's armored body tenses like weapon at the interruption...

He then sighs and reveals a tired bovine smile.  He pulls up a chair in front of a particularly large of raisin loaf.  "In that case I would like to know your names, relevant skills, and what you know of dealing with dragons."  He tears off a chunk and begins chewing.       

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2021, 05:29:26 PM »
"Catlynn. You can call my Cat or Lynn. I am fast, strong and ok at sneaking. I know oni-style martial arts. Dragons fly. So you just knock them out of the air." she says and looks to the next person.
Hmm.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2021, 10:33:23 PM »
"Dragon steak, huh...? Oooh, maybe a steak tartare..." the excitable fairy says, apparently knowing nothing more particularly relevant to killing dragons than, oddly, considering what dishes could possibly be made utilising them, "You can put snake blood in drinks, so maybe dragon blood too...?"

"Ah, I'm Áine. And... uh, I can fly too! And make the dragon get lost. Or maybe fall out of the sky."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2021, 10:50:49 PM »
"I am Ijol.  My skills are the skills of rock and stone and those I hurt are bound by it, becoming slow and bound to the ground and bleeding as if struck by obisidian.  I can burrow and be as undetectable as a pebble or as fast as rushing lava.  Within me is the fury and strength of the raging volcano ready to be unleashed at any moment and I can leap across a battlefield like a bouncing boulder, crashing into my enemies."