Author Topic: Chapter 1: Introductions - An Arcane Heirophant Did It!  (Read 14688 times)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 1: Introductions - An Arcane Heirophant Did It!
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2021, 10:58:23 AM »
Calder helps himself to a variety of poultry and seafood dishes slathered in rich, decadent sauces and spices, but tries a bit of everything before returning to the foods he find suit him best.

"I do not know how I know these things, but I am Calder Ivarsson, descended from the noble lineage of Ivar Stormcaller. I am swift whether on land or water, I can maintain stealth when necessary, and I carry the patience and perceptiveness of my forebears. Put me under the open sky with a bow in my hand and I can fell a flying dragon near or far. Put a fiddle or lute in my hand, and I can fell a crowd."

At the last comment, he winks in the general direction of his new teammates, though he doesn't quite know why he did so.

"I also detect some concern in your eye, Captain. You do not think we are up to the task at hand, that much you have not concealed. I do not blame you, for the scope is great and we are... untested, to say the least. I am certain we shall be tested soon enough, and prove our skill worthy."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 11:00:34 PM by VennDygrem »

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2021, 07:55:16 PM »
"Don't worry, Captain." Catlinn says, cool and confident and full of reassurance. She knows the pain dwelling in the heart of the Captain, and will quell it in the only way she knows how. Her eyes sparkle as she speaks her words of assurance. "If there is any dragon steak left over, we will share it with you."
Hmm.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2021, 08:32:50 PM »
The red scaled dragon flops from out of the ooze, trying to rub it off himself even as he was converged on by the cleaners. After they are done, a gentle claw picks out some clothing, then he shrinks down to a humanoid form with pointed ears, multicolored hair past his shoulders, smaller forms of the same red draconic orbs that make his eyes, and a powerful tail. He lets the tailor measure him, and waits patiently waits to receives his new outfit before sitting down, presumably at the table in the room. He would let the servers know his food preference.

"At hem," he clears his throat to get attention when eating a dragon was mentioned, putting his hair back in a ponytail. He was going to say something but the General walks in.

"The name is Zmaya, the descendant of noble red dragons and bearer of light. I have many lethal ways of dealing with foes and can disrupt the battlefield directly, disabling enemies, or supporting my allies. I can also be pretty persuasive as well. As far my knowledge on dragons, I can tell you they taste pretty good," says, grinning at Catlynn. "I have the knowledge of dragon on dragon combat in my mind."

Offline dman

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2021, 12:17:13 PM »
Captain Kravax addresses each adventurer in turn.

<GRUNT> "Oni-style, eh?"  The captain raises a muscular eyebrow.   "That's impressive and destructive.  Just make sure to fix anything you break, Lynn. I am partial to the integrity of our castle walls."

-

Kravax stares at Áine as she proclaims her desire for fine cooking.  He twists to look at Proteon, then turns back to the tiny fey, then turns back to look at Proteon.  Finally he turns back to Áine and offers the beginnings of a polite smile and a crumb of raisin loaf.

-

The captain knods at Ijol's pronouncement.  "Good, Ijol. That sounds promising.  You'll need to be tough, explosive, and able to ground her."

-

The captain's deep voice rumbles, "You are perceptive, Calder, and you appreciate the gravity of our situation. Though I don't doubt your skill I'd caution you about the wisdom of facing a dragon in the open.  Your musical skills are always welcome at chapel of you choose to join us."

-

"Well, a dragon to face a dragon. That's good news." Kravax appears slightly less concerned after Zmaya finishes.

"When you're ready I'll send you out to investigate.  I'll warn you.  It seems she's trying to draw attention to herself - perhaps to take on challengers at the time and place of her choosing - perhaps to make a show of strength to attract followers. Skunky can guide you when you're ready."   

As Kravax excuses himself Proteon asks, "Are you satisfied, Captain?"

Without turning around the captain grumbles, "We're sending our sheep out amongst the wolves." 

As he clacks toward the door Proteon smiles.  "At least you know our sheep can bite."
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 12:42:11 PM by dman »

Offline Zemyla

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2021, 01:50:39 PM »
There's a voice in everyone's heads. <Wait!> it says. Then the brain that Proteon dumped back into the tube floats out through the solid wall. <I am alive, I am here!>

They wrap themselves in psionic power and forms a humanoid body, appearing as corporeal as the rest of the group. <My name is Tsu. I can shape ectoplasm into warriors, as well as attack people's minds directly. I can change my appearance and travel unseen through solid objects.>

They shake their head. <I apologize for not being ready earlier. I just hope I am not too late.>

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2021, 11:02:57 AM »
Calder huffs out a brief laugh at the Captain's remark.

"I did not say it was wise, I only told you what I know."

As the minotaur captain takes his leave and new arrivals introduce themselves, Calder turns to glance over his peers once more.

"The captain is likely right, though, in the dragon's motivations. Maybe we need to set our own trap, lure it outside of its region of comfort. How to do so..."

Calder does his best not to be visibly put-off by the sight of the floating brain-creature that claimed it can attack minds directly. He makes a mental note not to get on the brain's bad side.

Offline dman

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2021, 02:55:50 PM »
A broad smile of joy blossoms on Proteon's face.  "So, you did survive after all!  Your presence is welcome, Tsu!  Better late than inanimate.  I assure you.  Take your pleasure."  Proteon gestures to the exotic spread.

"The good captain was in surprisingly high spirits today.  He has a lot weighing on his mind.  He was nervous about my plans to wake you, and I think you made a good impression.  You know this castle was once a forward outpost for the Red Hand.  Captain Kravax was the savage second in command under the infamous hobgoblin wyrmlord Rymkyr Koff.  After the castle was taken by The Heroes he underwent a radical conversion casting off the patronage of the minotaur demonlord Sargonnas to embrace the mercy of The Most High of Dobaron having been bested in battle by Barnabas the Quick, a whisper gnome ninja and swayed by the valor of the half-dragon paladin Eleazer the Merciful.  The surviving hobgoblin soldiers and their highly skilled and enigmatic slaves the star traveling Khua-lij all converted together agreeing to form a new community - The Red Cross.  Well named for it was a miraculous event indeed, but even with the Most High's help forging and maintaining a unity from former enemies with such diverse outlooks while beautiful and wildly creative has also been tenuous and hard won through constant sacrifice.  Captain Kravax has been at the forefront in ensuring its success, but the disappearance of The Heroes and the relentless spread of the Red Hand has no doubt shaken his faith.  At times he reverts to his more savage ways which makes things more ...difficult.  Let us pray he does not lose his faith and reconsider his allegiances for then all of this may truly be lost. 

Of course the great heirophant Daragon did not create me until Red Cross had been established.  I had the honor of knowing him only briefly before he and the rest of The Heroes set out to secure the Temple of Celestial Winds as part of the agreement with the noble djinn Hulallo for the building of this laboratory and for my creation.  The last I heard from them was a brief telepathic relay mentioning multi-armed arcane creatures from another dimension."  Proteon's gaze glazes over as he relives the past.

"At any rate I believe Calder is right about formulating a strategy...  It occurs to me that I could provide you with a chance to train.  Daragon is a preeminently gifted in the secrets of summoning, and he has given me some means to emulate his craft.  Is that something that might interest you?"         

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2021, 08:19:56 PM »
Calder nods. "A chance to test ourselves before a live mission? That sounds like a wise move. I will need a weapon, however."

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2021, 01:19:37 AM »
In her hands, the crumb of a loaf looks surprisingly large--but is scarfed down all the same, the tiny blonde figure grinning.

"A fight? I'm ready!"

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2021, 02:12:29 AM »
He had found himself a choice piece of well cooked meat "After I've finished eating and given a moment to let it settled." he says between eating, a bit more furiously than his calm demeanor would suggest. "I am in need of a holy symbol however."

Offline dman

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2021, 11:04:18 AM »
A soot stained Khua-lij smith brings in a cart of equipment.  In the pile you catch a glimpse of gleaming mithril, a large bow, a mythril of cross set into a rising sun - the symbol of the Most High, and various other implements.  It's as if they knew what you needed before even asking.

(click to show/hide)

Offline dman

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2021, 04:37:52 PM »
(click to show/hide)

"While Zmaya and Tsu get equipped, why don't the rest of you take up positions.  Please keep your battle contained to this room, and Lynn, please refrain from destroying the masonry.  Let me know when you're ready and we shall begin."

Offline dman

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2021, 12:35:02 PM »
Proteon begins chanting arcane syllables that pulse with magical power:
(click to show/hide)

Offline dman

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2021, 09:40:32 PM »
Three outrageously muscular shining golden quadrapeds emerge from heavenly portals and begin to charge straight at you!

Battle Map - Underground Lab   
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 09:42:40 PM by dman »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2021, 10:06:20 PM »
As soon as the quadrupeds appear Ijol immediately fires three sharp stones from his rocky exterior at the nearest one.

(click to show/hide)

All three hit so raging stats go into effect.

Raging, Fury points at end of turn: 5

Offline dman

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2021, 10:53:44 PM »
Three jagged blackrock spears penetrate deeply into rippling muscles of the first beast.  The creature stumbles and slows, but the rocky spears bounce wildly as it continues to charge forward - eyes fixed on you in bloody determination to strike.   

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2021, 11:02:23 PM »
The fairy takes this moment to start dancing. It's quite interesting, but definitely less interesting than the way her gaze, despite the small side, seems to affix the strange monsters.

(click to show/hide)

Offline dman

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2021, 11:17:09 PM »
All three beast's eyes glaze over as they spot the tiny dancing fey.  Their legs lock up in mid stride, and they skid to a halt.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2021, 11:25:09 PM »
Lynn grows larger and and jumps over the beasts, trying to knock them down as she lands.

(click to show/hide)
Hmm.

Offline dman

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2021, 11:41:46 PM »
Lynn crashes down on two of the hapless beasts knocking them prone and cracking bones.