is part of the Aura Classes
The Marshal, a revamp.
Minor auras (I have an expanded list with my Divine Mind)
Major auras (Progression similar to my Divine Mind, though with other effects)
Orders (Single shot buffing effects, mostly single-target, usable as a move action)
Commands (Single shot debuffing effects, mostly single-target, usable as a standard action, sort of the opposite of orders)
Only one Order or Command can be used each turn. They're each usable at will, but repeated use of the same effect will reduce its potency.
Commands are usually mind-affecting.
This version of the Marshal is a bit more active than the original. In addition to auras (which should be a bit more interesting and useful now), the Marshal has a variety of Shouts to use which provide a variety of temporary buffs and debuffs. This Marshal uses a new mechanic, Presence, which ebbs and flows based on how much you use your abilities. The more you shout about, the less effect each shout will have, but if you take the time you make every order and command count, they'll keep their prime potency.
1 +0 +2 +0 +2 Major Aura +1, Presence, Skill Focus (Diplomacy) -
2 +1 +3 +0 +3 Aura Shift (2 auras) -
3 +2 +3 +1 +3 Dilate Aura (90 feet) -
4 +3 +4 +1 +4 Major Aura +2 -
5 +3 +4 +1 +4 Extra Aura (Minor) -
6 +4 +5 +2 +5 Dilate Aura (120 feet), Leadership -
7 +5 +5 +2 +5 Aura Shift (immediate) -
8 +6/+1 +6 +2 +6 Major Aura +3 -
9 +6/+1 +6 +3 +6 Dilate Aura (150 feet) -
10 +7/+2 +7 +3 +7 Extra Aura (Major) -
11 +8/+3 +7 +3 +7 -
12 +9/+4 +8 +4 +8 Dilate Aura (180 feet), Major Aura +4 -
13 +9/+4 +8 +4 +8 Aura Shift (3 auras) -
14 +10/+5 +9 +4 +9 Contingent Command -
15 +11/+6/+1 +9 +5 +9 Dilate Aura (210 feet) -
16 +12/+7/+2 +10 +5 +10 Major Aura +5 -
17 +12/+7/+2 +10 +5 +10 -
18 +13/+8/+3 +11 +6 +11 Dilate Aura (240 feet) -
19 +14/+9/+4 +11 +6 +11 -
20 +15/+10/+5 +12 +6 +12 Aura Mastery, Aura Shift (all auras), Major Aura +6 -
Shouts Auras Auras
Level Known Known Known
1 1 2 2
2 2 3 3
3 2 4 3
4 3 4 3
5 3 5 4
6 4 5 4
7 4 6 4
8 5 6 4
9 5 7 5
10 6 7 5
11 6 8 5
12 7 8 5
13 7 9 5
14 8 9 6
15 8 10 6
16 9 10 6
17 9 11 6
18 10 11 6
19 10 12 6
20 11 12 7
Many Marshal abilities rely on your commander level. You commander level is equal to your Marshal level, plus your total levels in other classes that grant Presence, shouts, or auras (such as Paladin and Divine Mind), plus one half your levels in other classes.Presence:
Your Presence is a numerical representation of ability to lead in the heat of battle. You use your Presence for various effects of your shouts. Each time you use a shout, your Presence decreases after resolving that ability's effects, which may reduce your Presence below 0. The amount decreased depends on the shout used. Lost Presence returns at a rate of 1 point per round. If your Presence is 0 or lower, you cannot use shouts, although stronger shouts have higher minimum Presence values required to use them. Your maximum Presence is equal to your commander level.
TODO: Actions that influence presence
- Passive: +1/round
- Backup Plan feat (swift action a few times/day, recover all presence)
- Standard action: Recover 1/4 of max presence
You know a total number of shouts based on your Marshal level. You can learn any shout whose prerequisites you meet.
Despite their name, shouts don't require you to yell, or even speak. Any sort of communication that the subject or subjects are aware of is sufficient, even if it isn't understood fully. Usually this requires speech, but telepathic communication is also sufficient. When no shared language (or equivalent) exists, tone and body language are usually enough to get the message across.
-> effective level = marshal + other presence classes + 1/2 non-presence classes
-> max presence = effective level
-> shouts require minimum effective level to learn, not minimum max presence
-> Shouts are usable as long as you have presence >0, not based on the minimum needed to learn themAuras (Ex):
As a Marshal, your presence and leadership exerts an effect on allies in your vicinity. You can learn to produce different effects, or auras, over the course of your career. You may project one minor aura and one major aura at a time. If you possess the ability to project auras from multiple sources, the number of auras of any given type that you can project at once does not stack. For instance, a Divine Mind 2/Marshal 2 would be able to project both a major aura and a mantle aura at the same time, but only a single minor aura.
Activating an aura is a swift action. The aura remains in effect until you use a free action to dismiss it or you activate another aura of the same kind (major or minor). You can have an aura active continually; thus, an aura can be in effect at the start of a combat encounter even before you take your first turn.
As a Marshal, activating an aura is a purely mental action. Unless otherwise noted, your auras affect all allies within 60 feet (including yourself) that you can communicate with, even if you don't share a language. An ally must have an Intelligence score to gain the bonus (mindless creatures cannot benefit from your auras). Your aura is dismissed if you are dazed, unconscious, stunned, paralyzed, or otherwise unable to communicate.
Some auras affect your enemies instead of, or in addition to, your allies. Unless otherwise stated, the save DC of your aura is equal to 10 + 1/2 your class level + your Charisma modifier.
All modifiers granted by your auras are morale bonuses (or penalties) that do not stack with each other. These morale bonuses and penalties still affect targets immune to mind-affecting effects that are otherwise subject to your aura.Skill Focus (Diplomacy):
Because you have a way with people, you gain Skill Focus (Diplomacy) as a bonus feat. If you already have that feat, you can choose a different one that you qualify for.Leadership:
Count as having it at 6th, but you don't get the cohort. If you ever take the Leadership feat, you gain a +2 bonus to your Leadership score and can use your Leadership score in place of your Presence when determining the effects of your shouts on your followers (this doesn't let you use shouts for which you have an insufficient Presence).Dilate Aura (Ex):
Starting at 3rd level, the range of your auras increases by 30 feet (to a total of 90 feet). Their range increases by 30 feet again every 3 levels thereafter.Aura Shift (Ex):
You can activate multiple auras at once. Beginning at 2nd level, you can activate two auras as part of the same swift action. At 13th level, this improves to 3 auras at once. Once you reach 20th level, you can activate any number of auras at once.
In addition, starting at 8th level, you can dismiss an aura and activate a new one of the same type in its place as an immediate action.Extra Aura (Ex):
Starting at 5th level, you can project one more minor aura at once than normal (for a total of 2 minor auras and 1 major aura). Beginning at 10th level, you can also project one more major aura at once than normal (for a total of 2 minor auras and 2 major auras). You must activate or dismiss your auras separately.Contingent Command:
... I don't remember what I intended with this. Probably a shout on a contingency-type trigger.Aura Mastery (Ex):
Beginning at 20th level, once per day as a swift action, you can project up to 5 additional major auras at once (for a total of 7) for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1 round). You can change which major auras you are projecting and activate new ones as part of this action.Shouts
Shouts that are designed for allies usually require a move action to use and affect willing allies only. To be affected, an ally must be aware that you are using an Order, and you must be able to communicate with that ally. Orders have the same range as your auras. You are never affected by your own Orders except where explicitly indicated.
Shouts that are designed for enemies usually require a standard action to use and affect all creatures. Commands are mind-affecting compulsion effects and have no effect on creatures with which you cannot communicate (body language is usually sufficient, even if spoken language is impossible). Commands have the same range as your auras. You are never affected by your own Commands. The save DC of a Command is 10 + 1/2 your Presence + your Charisma modifier.Name:
(Minimum level/Presence Cost) Description
- Death Comes For You: (1/2) The subject takes 1d6 points of damage per point of Presence, half of which is nonlethal damage. A successful Will save negates the lethal half of the damage.
- Engage: (1/2) Ally gains a bonus equal to your Presence on weapon damage rolls for 1 round.
- Fall Back: (1/3) If the subject fails a Will save, it is frightened for 1 round.
- Adrenaline Boost : (1/2) Ally gains temp hp equal to twice your Presence for 1 round.
- Stand Down: (1/3) If the subject fails a Will save, it is dazed for 1 round.
- Watch Your Back: (1/3) Ally cannot be flanked for 1 round. Grants a bonus to AC against AoOs equal to your Presence.
- Into the Breach: (4/4) Ally gains a move action to move, up to a maximum distance of 5' per point of Presence.
- Enduring Cry: (4/4) Ally gains DR/- equal to your Presence for 1 round.
- Take Cover: (4/5) Grants a +4 bonus to AC and a +2 bonus on Reflex saves. Lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Presence.
- Unconditional Surrender: (5/3) If the subject fails a Will save, it drops anything held and falls prone.
- Call Down The Thunder: (5/3) The subject takes 1d6 damage per point of Presence, half of which is electricity damage, the other half of which is sonic damage, and is deafened for 1 round. A successful Fort save negates the deafness and halves the damage. This is a supernatural ability.
- : (5/ )
- Snap Out Of It: (7/3) Ally gains a new saving throw against an ongoing mind-affecting effect with a bonus equal to your Presence.
- Stand and Fight: (7/6) Ally can immediately stand from prone without provoking Attacks of Opportunity. Removes the dazed, stunned, nauseated, shaken, frightened, etc. conditions based on your Presence.
- Taste Steel: (8/4) The subject takes a penalty to it's Armor Class equal to your Presence for 1 round.
- Reap The Whirlwind: (8/3) The subject takes electricity damage equal to your Presence and is blown away if it fails a Fort save. This is a supernatural ability.
- Glory of War: (10/5) One ally, plus 1 more per 3 Presence, gains haste for 1 round.
- : (10/ )
- Crushing Defeat: (11/5) Whenever the subject takes damage before the beginning of your next turn, it must make a Will save or suffer a -4 morale penalty on all weapon damage rolls, saving throws, and skill checks for a number of rounds equal to your Presence.
- : (11/ )
- Immortal Call: (13/10) Ally cannot be reduced below 1 hp due to hit point damage for 1 round. (Su)
- : (13/ )
- : (14/ )
- : (14/ )
- Withstand: (16/15) Ally treats all saving throw rolls as natural 20s for 1 round.
- : (16/ )
- : (17/ )
- : (17/ )
- Inspired Heroics: (19/20) Ally gain a bonus on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, and to AC equal to your Presence for 1 round.
- Arise: (19/20) Recently slain ally is returned to life as the revenance spell for Presence/4 rounds, but doesn't die at the end.
- Begone: (20/15) Subject is teleported to a random location on another random plane (no, that doesn't mean deep space or inside a dozen miles of solid rock, use the same common sense Plane Shift and stuff like it use). Will negates. This is a supernatural ability.
- : (20/ )
Canceling the Apocalypse
Face the Monsters
Die in Awe
Let None Survive
By Fire be Purged
Note: Thresholds at 2, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19
Note: Thresholds at 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20
TODO: Change thresholds to 1, 6, 10, 14, 18
Major Auras Minor Aura:
A minor aura grants allies a bonus to certain rolls equal to your minor aura bonus. Your minor aura bonus is equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum +1). You begin play knowing two minor auras of your choice. As your Marshal level increases, you gain access to new auras, as indicated on the table above.
- Accurate Strike: Allies gain a bonus on rolls made to confirm critical hits.
- Art of War: Allies gain a bonus on disarm, trip, bull rush, and sunder attempts.
- Blitz: Allies gain a bonus to damage rolls against flat-footed opponents.
- Combat Tactics: Allies gain a bonus to damage rolls on attacks of opportunity.
- Demand Fortitude: Allies gain a bonus on Fortitude saves.
- Determined Caster: Allies gain a bonus on rolls to overcome spell resistance.
- Determined Manifester: Allies gain a bonus on rolls to overcome power resistance.
- Distant Aim: Allies gain a bonus to ranged attack rolls. This cannot raise a character's ranged attack modifier above his or her normal ranged attack modifier within the first range increment.
- Force of Will: Allies gain a bonus on Will saves.
- Lethal Strike: Allies gain a bonus to damage rolls on confirmed critical hits.
- Long Haul: Allies gain a bonus to Strength for the purpose of carrying capacity. Bonus to checks and rolls modified by the Endurance feat.
- Master of Opportunity: Allies gain a bonus to Armor Class against attacks of opportunity.
- Master of Tactics: Allies gain a bonus on damage rolls when flanking.
- Motivate Charisma: Allies gain a bonus on Charisma checks and Charisma-based skill checks.
- Motivate Constitution: Allies gain a bonus on Constitution checks and Constitution-based skill checks.
- Motivate Dexterity: Allies gain a bonus on Dexterity checks, Dexterity-based skill checks, and initiative checks.
- Motivate Intelligence: Allies gain a bonus on Intelligence checks and Intelligence-based skill checks.
- Motivate Strength: Allies gain a bonus on Strength checks and Strength-based skill checks.
- Motivate Wisdom: Allies gain a bonus on Wisdom checks and Wisdom-based skill checks.
- Over the Top: Allies gain a bonus on damage rolls when charging.
- Reliable Strike: Allies bonus on percentile miss chance rolls equal to twice your aura bonus.
- Sublime Focus: Allies gain a bonus on skill checks made as part of maneuvers.
- Tough It Out: Allies gain a bonus to current and maximum hit points equal to twice your aura bonus. These hit points are not lost first like temporary hit points, and disappear when the aura is lost.
- Warning Shout: Allies gain a bonus to Armor Class while denied Dexterity to AC. This cannot raise a character's Armor Class above his or her normal Armor Class. Still considered denied Dex to AC.
- Watchful Eye: Allies gain a bonus on Reflex saves.
Feats Major Aura:
You can project a major aura in addition to your minor aura. A major aura grants allies bonuses or harms enemies. The magnitude of the bonus granted by your major auras is initially +1, and it improves by 1 at 4th level and every 4 levels thereafter. You begin play knowing two major auras of your choice. As your Marshal level increases, you gain access to new auras, as indicated on the table above.
- Bloodlust: Allies heal an amount of hit points equal to your aura bonus on any successful attack, to a maximum of half the damage dealt.
- Demand Charisma: Allies gain a bonus to Charisma.
- Demand Constitution: Allies gain a bonus to Constitution.
- Demand Dexterity: Allies gain a bonus to Dexterity.
- Demand Intelligence: Allies gain a bonus to Intelligence.
- Demand Strength: Allies gain a bonus to Strength.
- Demand Wisdom: Allies gain a bonus to Wisdom.
- Endure Hardship: Allies gain resistance to acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic damage equal to five times your aura bonus.
- Evasive Defenders: Attacks against allies suffer a 10% miss chance, plus 5% per point of aura bonus (maximum 50%).
- (New) Frightful Presence: Whenever you attack or charge, all opponents within your aura are subject to this effect. A potentially affected creature that succeeds on a Will save remains immune to your frightful presence aura for 24 hours. On a failure, affected creatures become shaken for a number of rounds equal to your aura bonus. If the creature has fewer HD than your aura bonus, it instead is panicked for the same amount of time. This ability does not stack on subsequent rounds, but affected creatures are subject to a new Will save after you attack or charge them following the end of this effect. This is a mind-affecting fear effect.
- (New) General's Grandeur: Enemies within your aura must make a Will save or be fascinated by you for as long as they remain within your aura. A successful saving throw grants immunity for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting effect. If your aura bonus is at least +3, a successful save only grants immunity for 1 round. If your aura bonus is at least +4, the effect is no longer mind-affecting.
- Hardy Soldiers: Allies gain DR/- equal to twice your aura bonus. This damage reduction stacks with other sources and forms of damage reduction.
- Mindbreaker Legion: Allies gain power resistance equal to 5 plus your level plus twice your aura bonus. Allies can raise or lower their power resistance without an action, even if it is not their turn, they are unable to act, or they are unaware.
- Motivate Ardor: Allies gain a bonus on weapon damage rolls equal to 1d4 per point of aura bonus.
- Motivate Attack: Allies gain a bonus on attack rolls.
- Motivate Care: Allies gain a bonus to Armor Class.
- Motivate Chaos: Enemies within your aura that attempt to attack you or an ally within the aura must make a Will save or be confused for 1 round (after resolving the attack). A successful saving throw grants immunity for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting effect. If your aura bonus is at least +3, a successful save only grants immunity for 1 round. If your aura bonus is at least +4, the effect is no longer mind-affecting.
- Motivate Mobility: Allies ignore difficult terrain and gain a bonus on escape artist checks, move silently checks, grapple checks to resist or escape a grapple, and saves against movement-impairing effects.
- (New) Motivate Retribution: Enemies within your aura that attempt to attack you or an ally within the aura provoke an attack of opportunity from the ally they attack after resolving the attack. If the attack already provoked an attack of opportunity from the ally being attacked (for example, a ranged attack being made in melee), this aura does not cause it to provoke another. This aura can only cause opponents to provoke attacks of opportunity a number of times each round equal to your aura bonus.
- Motivate Peace: Enemies within your aura that attempt to attack you or an ally within the aura must make a Will save or be dazed for 1 round (after resolving the attack). A successful saving throw grants immunity for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting effect. If your aura bonus is at least +3, a successful save only grants immunity for 1 round. If your aura bonus is at least +4, the effect is no longer mind-affecting.
- Motivate Perseverance: Allies gain fast healing equal to your aura bonus. This fast healing cannot heal any creature above half its maximum hit points.
- Motivate Urgency: Allies gain a bonus to all movement speeds equal to 5 feet per point of aura bonus. Allies gain a bonus on balance, climb, swim, and survival checks.
- Resilient Troops: Allies gain a bonus on all saves.
- Spellbreaker Legion: Allies gain spell resistance equal to 5 plus your level plus twice your aura bonus. Allies can raise or lower their spell resistance without an action, even if it is not their turn, they are unable to act, or they are unaware.
Steady Hand: Bonus on ranged attack rolls.
Veteran Commander: +2 max presence, can be taken multiple times.
Backup Plan: As a swift action, regain up to your effective level in lost Presence a few times per day.
Deathbed Leader: If reduced below 1 hp, remain conscious and alive as long as you use a shout each round and your presence is above 0. Unable to take any other actions. Cannot regain Presence, and you lose 1 additional presence/round. You survive if restored to at least 1 hp. Requires Endurance, ability to use shouts. Counts as Diehard for prereqs.
Terrifying Commands: Make an Intimidate check to demoralize all targets of your commands.
Court General: Use your Presence in place of your ranks in Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive for all purposes. Use actual ranks if higher.
Fortifying Presence: Allies affected by your auras use your Presence as their level (if higher) when determining effects of level-dependent detrimental effects. Intent: vs. Intimidate, Frightful Presence, cause fear, blasphemy, circle of death, etc.
March of Shadows: Shadow Walk, for you and any number of creatures that follow you. Requires Leadership and effective Presence level 12.
March of Aeons: [Epic feat] Variant of Teleport Through Time based on Shadow Walk, for you and any number of creatures that follow you. Requires March of Shadows and effective Presence level 21.
Metashout feats that modify shouts like metamagic/metapsionic feats. Cannot be used to increase the Presence cost above your max Presence.