Author Topic: Request Waiting List-Post your monster classes requests here!  (Read 134727 times)

Offline multibear

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Request Waiting List-Post your monster classes requests here!
« Reply #180 on: November 10, 2012, 08:46:43 PM »
I'd like to make another request. My favorite odd folkloric creature is the Kamaitachi, the trio of flying wind-weasels with sickles from Japanese mythology. I don't think there's ever been a D&D adaption of the Kamaitachi, but I'd love to see it get a monster class treatment. Ideally not a very long class, but something where you get to control all three weasels. Maybe it behaves like a swarm when the three occupy the same space.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 11, 2012, 03:45:14 AM »
In my orient thread im actually getting ready to do a japanese bestiary.  It may take me a while tho

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
The idea of controlling three weasels with sickles is probably the coolest idea I've heard in awhile. Controlling three creatures in one class would be pretty amazing, but it would need to be balanced in such a way that you're not controlling three characters, each powerful enough to take on a PC by themselves, but also so that when working together they can manage to be helpful to the party without stealing the show.

Though I would think they should still be somewhat useful if separated...sounds like a challenging one to do. I'm going to go read up on these Kamaitachi, and if inspiration strikes on the balancing front I may take this one on. Unless Bhu really wants to write it up, because that Oriental Bestiary list is huge, but damn, it looks like it'll be awesome when it's finished. I've never tried doing an Oriental Campaign before, but it could be pretty kickass...
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2012, 04:10:21 PM »
You could do it sort of like the Dvati, where some of your actions take up the actions of all three bodies, whereas others can be used once for each body. Then also make it so that limited uses of abilities and resources are also shared (such as per day or per encounter abilities, maybe even hit points). I'd go with move and free actions being usable by all bodies independently, but giving only one full-round, standard, swift, and immediate action across all bodies (when you choose to take them instead of move actions). You can refine when actions are shared or split based on the specific actions performed, but that's a good baseline to start with. Given the extreme importance of the action economy, be very careful with this aspect to not let any loopholes get through, even other homebrewed material. Even move actions shouldn't be freely shared, as there are several existing homebrew and even printed abilities that can leverage good use out of those actions.

Another thing to consider is letting the three bodies all be affected by the same spells like the Wizard Familiar/Druid Animal Companion ability to share spells.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #184 on: November 11, 2012, 05:29:04 PM »
Except multiple bodies is the Dvati's special stick. Making a class that is 50% better than the Dvati is a no-no.

I would say a much better aproach would be that you have a main body and the other two are simple minions with much limited capacities.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 12, 2012, 01:05:32 AM »
Possibly you could play the collective and can split into 3 but each one is similar to a familiar or animal companion. That way there is no multiplication of feats or class abilities to worry about. Possibly grant each one a different set of abilities in the class then a final set for when all three are working together (sharing a space and actions).

This way you shouldn't be significantly more powerful than a ranger with wild cohort or the like.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 12, 2012, 02:57:24 PM »
The idea of controlling three weasels with sickles is probably the coolest idea I've heard in awhile. Controlling three creatures in one class would be pretty amazing, but it would need to be balanced in such a way that you're not controlling three characters, each powerful enough to take on a PC by themselves, but also so that when working together they can manage to be helpful to the party without stealing the show.

Though I would think they should still be somewhat useful if separated...sounds like a challenging one to do. I'm going to go read up on these Kamaitachi, and if inspiration strikes on the balancing front I may take this one on. Unless Bhu really wants to write it up, because that Oriental Bestiary list is huge, but damn, it looks like it'll be awesome when it's finished. I've never tried doing an Oriental Campaign before, but it could be pretty kickass...

Feel free to go ahead.  I didn't expect the bestiary list to be so big and it's still expanding...

It's one of the reasons I wanted to try a small class here.  Creatures like Oni have such disparate abilities and power levels I'm considering doing lots of those monsters as classes.

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 12, 2012, 03:18:06 PM »
Well, as it stands, it looks like the balancing may be difficult without stepping on the Dvati's toes as Oslecamo said, but I do like Littha's idea quite a bit. If inspiration strikes, I may do it, but feel free to take care of it if you get around to it before I do.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 12, 2012, 08:01:22 PM »
Why does "works in groups of three" need to translate into some kind of hive mind? :??? You could just have a 3-player group with each playing one weasel and choosing a different racial talent; "disabling enemies", "inflicting damage" and "healing injuries" sounds like a decent party roles split.

Offline multibear

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 12, 2012, 11:23:20 PM »
I don't think it has to be a hive mind, but the original mythology really emphasizes how there's always three of them and you might not always have two friends on hand who want to play magic weasels. Plus playing a swarm of weasels is unique, and controlling "multiple" characters with one class is an interesting gimmick. Most of the potential mechanics described could easily be refluffed to be three "separate" characters controlled by one player, or a team of three siblings who are just trained to work cohesively, or whatever your take may be.

But then you could also do a short class for one sickle weasel and have the weasel trio part be a prestige class...

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 24, 2012, 10:30:58 PM »
Osle, I dunno if you want to add the remaining Skaven Base Classes to the list to help yourself remember. (or if you care :p )
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 10:40:01 PM by FireInTheSky »

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 25, 2012, 09:32:11 AM »
He must care. In fact, I formally request that the other Skaven base classes be made! On a related note, how do you think Leadership would interact with the class features of the Skaven Warlord?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2012, 09:36:33 AM »
I care, since I was it was a self-request. However since I invested pretty heavily on the two first and barely got any feedback, it kinda demotivated me on finishing the others. But I didn't forget. If I see motivation around, I may just finish them.

He must care. In fact, I formally request that the other Skaven base classes be made! On a related note, how do you think Leadership would interact with the class features of the Skaven Warlord?
Wait, you requested them? Completely missed it then. :blush

Leadership stacks normally with the minions of the Skaven Warlord (they're not spellcasters or have any OP abilities so I don't see much trouble with it).

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 25, 2012, 09:37:52 AM »
Oh no, my apologies, I meant that I do request them. As in, that was my request.  :p sorry about that. I hadn't heard of them before I read Fire's post there, and they are some of the most flavourful creatures I've seen. So as of my previous post, consider them requested.  :P

And keep up the good work, as always, mon ami.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:39:33 AM by Rakoa »

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 25, 2012, 04:35:20 PM »
So, I have a request.

I want a tribute to THOON! THOON IS THOON, AND THOON IS AL-

Sorry about that, I kinda had a moment.

Anyway, I would like to see some of the Thoon constructs from MMV. Hell, maybe even a Thoon disciple PrC for the Illithid.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline bobthe6th

• Not sure what to put here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 30, 2012, 10:02:37 PM »
How about an awakened blood hulk from MMVI?  with a Prc for the larger sizes?

basically, big honking meat shields of meatiness.
avatar by Szilard, thank you sir for the fine work!

my home brew.  you should PEACH them...
Telekineticist
Razor

Offline Mushroom

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 10, 2012, 02:29:35 PM »
Requesting that KAYOSS idea you had in the general thread.

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 11, 2012, 08:11:01 PM »

Shush you, he still has Skaven to do. :P

But seeing as how we're requesting...would anyone like to tackle the Titan? CR 21 puts it into the epic levels, and it has some pretty nifty abilities if you ask me. I am surprised it hasn't been done yet, but alas I am too cowardly to tackle a monster class with that many levels. But yeah, could be cool if someone feels like it.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2012, 05:20:02 PM »
Updated first post.

Shush you, he still has Skaven to do. :P
Cough still no comments on the Eshin Agent cough.

But seeing as how we're requesting...would anyone like to tackle the Titan? CR 21 puts it into the epic levels, and it has some pretty nifty abilities if you ask me. I am surprised it hasn't been done yet, but alas I am too cowardly to tackle a monster class with that many levels. But yeah, could be cool if someone feels like it.
Well you just explained it yourself why it isn't done yet, epic monsters are the hardest ones to do. :p

Offline Threadnaught

• 1% good ideas 99% crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 15, 2012, 10:26:39 AM »
Dang, I forgot to put Umbral Blot in here, didn't I?

Floating Spheres are the best world enders. :cool

I'm not Double Posting, I never feel right doing so, that said, new requests I haven't found.

Ice Beast, (1+1/2 HD?) Levels (Frostburn)
With those abilities, it's worth a level or two.

Mineral Warrior, 1 Level (Races of Stone/Underdark)
Recommended to me when I asked how to get boosts while on the ground, including Tremorsense, for humanoid creatures.

Titanic, 13 Levels (Monster Manual 2)
Grows 3-7 times according to what I've seen and gets 26-36 Strength and 14-16 Constitution. This'll be almost as interesting a challenge as the Umbral Blot. :plotting
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 01:39:08 PM by Threadnaught »