Author Topic: Monster feats  (Read 25963 times)

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
Re: Monster feats
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 12:02:36 PM »
It has potential I think. Just specify that any special attacks dependent upon natural weapons are still linked to the original set, and that any modified weapons do not alter the other functions of that limb.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 01:16:50 PM »
OK, I updated it.  Any good now?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2012, 01:41:50 PM »
That should work, though I'd have linked the special attacks to only as many weapons as you originally had of that type, but it'd be a pain to word.

E.g. Poisonous bite becomes tentacle attack. Is now a poisonous tentacle.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012, 01:51:37 PM »
That should work, though I'd have linked the special attacks to only as many weapons as you originally had of that type, but it'd be a pain to word.

E.g. Poisonous bite becomes tentacle attack. Is now a poisonous tentacle.

Yeah, but you're already getting something out of the deal with the new special ability.

The purpose of this feat is so that if you get redundant natural attack modes for some reason, you can swap one set for something else.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 05:05:01 PM »
Trying my hand at making a feat that I believe long overdue.

Tough Shot [Monstrous]
Prerequisite: Attack that requires a ranged attack roll or a ranged touch attack roll gained from race.
Benefit: Chose your Strength or your Constitution and one attack that requires a ranged attack roll or a ranged touch attack roll gained from race you posses. From now on, you use the stat you chose instead of your Dexterity for your attack rolls with that attack. These choices are made when the feat is taken and cannot be changed later.
Special: If there were other factors of the ranged attack that you chose based on your ability scores (such as range), then you may have all of the ability score based factors based on the stat chosen with this feat. You must choose whether you will be using this replacement when you take this feat, and cannot be changed thereafter.
Example: a Naga with the Protector path would normally use BAB + Dex when using its Spit Poison ability, but when taking this feat the player chooses to have the attack based on Constitution (for synergy with the poison's DC :cool ). This feat could not change the range of the ability, because that is based off of Hit Dice, not an ability score. Additionally, this feat could not be used to change the DC of the poison to Strength based, because its poison and Poison Spit are separate abilities.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:44:37 PM by ariasderros »
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 05:56:38 PM »
I understand the concept and like it, but it needs a better wording, since stuff like Spit Poison aren't tecnically natural attacks.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 09:33:43 PM »
Better now?
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 05:50:52 AM »
Yes, good work!

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2012, 04:59:25 PM »
I would just say that you can trade out paired attacks for other paired attacks, and singular attacks for other singular attacks.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 03:47:22 PM »
Yet another three feats for MAD. The first is just a standard X Stat to Y Bonus type. The other two are a bit more questionable.

Altered Eldritch Source [Monstrous]
Prerequisite: Ability to use Spell-Like or Supernatural Abilities that allow Saves with a DC based on Charisma.
Benefit: Choose a mental ability score other than Charisma (Intelligence or Wisdom). From now on, any Spell-Like and Supernatural Abilities gained from race or monstrous class levels (or feats that demand levels or specific abilities gained from a monstrous class) are now based on this score, instead of Charisma.
The choice of which ability score to use is made when this feat is taken, and cannot be changed later.
Special: If you have an ability that would provide a boost to a score, and the ability precludes granting a benefit to Charisma, then the ability score chosen for this feat and Charisma are both ineligible to be boosted.
Example: A character with both levels of Monster of Legend, who has chosen the Saga ability of "Sweet Poison" decides to take this feat and have his Spell-Like and Supernatural Abilities based off of Intelligence. This causes the DC against the poison to be 10+1/2 HD+Int mod. However, the boost to an ability score allowed from draining essence with this poison can now not be used to boost either Charisma or Intelligence.

Malformed Body [Monstrous]
Prerequisite: 1st level OR Monster Hybrid feat, upon taking the first level of a monster class, or before taking levels of a monster class.
In either case, you must choose the monster class this feat is applied to.
Benefit: Choose two physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution). Whenever either of the two would be boosted by your monstrous class progression in the class you have taken this feat for, instead the other ability score is boosted.
Creatures that have their ability score progression altered significantly by this look quite different from their normal 'cousins' in appropriate ways.
Example: Wanting a Tarrasque that is much more defensive, one player decides to take this feat swapping Str and Dex, thus causing all of the Str boosts to go towards Dex, and all of the (non-existent) Dex boosts to go to Str. The Tarrasque produced by this gains a vast amount of Dexterity, but is much weaker than its Strength-based cousins, and looks much less bulky, and almost serpentine and lithe. Another player wants to play an Air Drake that is a bit tougher, and swaps Dex for Con, making an Air Drake that looks like it is a little more clunky in the air, but its bulk lets it take a blow better.

Malformed Mind [Monstrous]
Prerequisite: 1st level OR Monster Hybrid feat, upon taking the first level of a monster class, or before taking levels of a monster class.
In either case, you must choose the monster class this feat is applied to.
Benefit: Choose two Mental ability scores (Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma). Whenever either of the two would be boosted by your monstrous class progression in the class you have taken this feat for, instead the other ability score is boosted.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:43:18 AM by oslecamo »
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 08:51:30 PM »
Is it a problem that your malformed feats can currently be used to double up on ability bonuses (IE: a Tarrasque chooses con and str, and is now getting +2 str/lv.)

I'm not saying it's necessarily a problem, just asking if it is.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 09:25:08 PM »
Is it a problem that your malformed feats can currently be used to double up on ability bonuses (IE: a Tarrasque chooses con and str, and is now getting +2 str/lv.)

Try making the switch work both ways then - if your Str boosts are going to Dex, then your Dex boosts also go to Str.

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 10:00:42 PM »
Ah. I read it three times to make sure I wasn't missing something but I missed that.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 06:37:24 AM »

Whenever one of the two would be boosted by your monstrous class progression in the class you have taken this feat for, instead the other ability score is boosted.

So... Every time Con would be boosted, Str is boosted instead. And vice versa. So it's not a problem, because you can't double up on boosting a score. It changes both. Should I change the word "one" to the word "either", since that's the only way I can think of to make it clearer?

Because it is already intended to be as Prime states, it is meant to work both ways.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 03:06:17 PM »
Yeah "either" should make it clearer.

Otherwise seem pretty good utility feats.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 12:04:41 AM »
Otherwise seem pretty good utility feats.

It makes me so happy that within one day of having written them:
Someone has already asked to use them;
A DM has already approved them;

The first person to playtest them will be Osle himself :) .

Says a lot about how much we all love rearranging our stat dependencies.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome