Author Topic: General Monster Feats, Flaws and Traits  (Read 55619 times)

Offline Niu

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: General Monster Feats, Flaws and Traits
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2014, 08:25:54 PM »
With Changed Innocence, does the swapping of ability scores mean that things like wraiths would end up with a nonexistant Charisma or Wisdom score, since they do not possess a strength score?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2014, 08:33:20 PM »
With Changed Innocence, does the swapping of ability scores mean that things like wraiths would end up with a nonexistant Charisma or Wisdom score, since they do not possess a strength score?

"You may choose to".

Though I don't know why you would choose to turn your character into an object.

Offline Yasahiro

• Lurker
  • I am new, but not unexperienced.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2014, 07:38:48 PM »
So, Monstrous Combination is like 8th level power of Psion Egoist "Fusion". Except it requires same creature type and number of HD, but it gives additional actions, increases ability scores if them were the same, increases size, but lasts shorter amount of time...

Dunno, seems awfully strong for a feat...
"If you can't slam with the best, then jam with the rest" - Charles Barkley

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2014, 07:43:42 PM »
So, Monstrous Combination is like 8th level power of Psion Egoist "Fusion". Except it requires same creature type and number of HD, but it gives additional actions, increases ability scores if them were the same, increases size, but lasts shorter amount of time...

Dunno, seems awfully strong for a feat...

... except it takes two feats because you need at least two characters with it? More importantly, it doesn't give huge boosts: it's a +1 to ability modifier IF they're the same.

It basically lets characters cover each other's weaknesses a bit better. Like fusing a lich with a Blood Hulk or the like.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:45:28 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2014, 07:49:41 AM »
What Raineh Daze said.

Offline Vulcanus

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2014, 12:19:10 PM »
Extra Option
Prerequisites:Levels on one of the following monster classes
(click to show/hide)
Effect:Choose a list of chooseable abilities of one of your monster classes from which you already picked one, such as Animal Apotheosis or Minor Gift of Chaos. You gain another of those options you qualify for.
Special:You may take this feat multiple times, each one picking a diferent option you qualify for. Paragons and their excellences don't qualify for this, she already has her own feats.

Ok, so question:

Animal Apotheosis from Antrhopomorphic Animal (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=532.0) is specifically listed as an example, so I know it can be picked, but I want to know the exact effect in this case.

Animal Apotheosis reads, "Animal apotheosis:At 5th and 6th level select one of the following bonus. Alternatively pick two from Animal power or six more from "What has magic done?""

So my first instinct was that you pick 'one of the following bonus' but really you could interpret the ability as 'choose between one of these, two of these other, or six of those.'  So if I use a lvl 6 feat or higher to get Extra Option, do I have the option of picking six from "What has magic done?"?

If so...
(from "What has magic done?")
Tentacle: the AA has a tentacle wich can be used as a natural weapon dealing 1d4+1/2 str mod damage for a medium character and has double the normal reach. This option may be taken multiple times, each new time granting a new tentacle.
For every option leveling except one which would be used to pick up Animal Rage to qualify for Black Blood cultist to get...
Savage Grapple: Starting at 8th level, you deal damage as if you had hit with all your natural weapons (including rend, if you are raging) on a successful grapple check
:plotting

Sounds like a fun character concept if nothing else...

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2014, 12:25:37 PM »
Yes, you can do that (you can also pick one from Animal Power and three from WHMD, because Animal Power can also be converted into WHMD).

Offline Vulcanus

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2014, 12:57:55 PM »
Yes, you can do that (you can also pick one from Animal Power and three from WHMD, because Animal Power can also be converted into WHMD).

Yep.

Let's see,
lvl 1 and 2 would give 1 tentacle each (2 total)
lvl 1 feat for an extra tentacle (3 total)
lvl 3 and 4 I would use for Rage and probably size up to be practical (grapple bonus) but i could alternately max tentacles (3 large, 6 medium)
lvl 3 feat for 3 more tentacles (6 large, 9 medium)
lvl 5 and 6 both for size increases or extra tentacles (6 gargantuan, 21 medium)
lvl 6, 9, 12, 15, 18 feats for extra tentacles (36 gargantuan, 51 medium)

Maybe you could argue delaying your flaws until lvl 5 for 12 more tentacles, but we're already pretty scarily tentacled.  I wonder which would be more effective damage-wise, 36 gargantuan or 51 medium.  Assuming you're stacking strength like you should be, 15 extra secondary attacks sounds amazing.  On the other hand, gargantuan would also increase the 'size' of the tentacle damage so...  Maybe I'll sit down and theorycraft that later.

Also, made me think, would improved grab (from WHMD?) apply to all the tentacles or would it just give it to one actual attack?  Either way, maybe a one-level dip into scaled horror would be better anyways.  That's a TON of grapple checks, all of which would do a TON of damage...  Once we're up to that many grapple checks, I'm thinking Spines would pay off...  Maybe pounce as well?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2014, 02:06:32 PM »
Bigger tentacles would do more damage. 1d4*51 = 2.5*51 = 127. 2d6*36 = 11*36 = 396. Also, longer reach and grapple bonuses.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2014, 08:37:04 PM »
Right I wanted to ask. In regards to the Hoard feat and the "Status Symbol" part of it. If you spend the money to get a bonus to two stats, can you spend more money to get a bonus to two different stats? Like if I did +Str/Con first, could I put more money into it to get +Dex/Wis?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2014, 08:42:45 PM »
Right I wanted to ask. In regards to the Hoard feat and the "Status Symbol" part of it. If you spend the money to get a bonus to two stats, can you spend more money to get a bonus to two different stats? Like if I did +Str/Con first, could I put more money into it to get +Dex/Wis?

At that point, why not just stuff a Belt of Magnificence or whatever it is in there?

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2014, 01:32:17 AM »

At that point, why not just stuff a Belt of Magnificence or whatever it is in there?

Possibly because the Belt of Magnificence (+6) costs 200 K and takes a slot. Yes this is cheaper than buying and wearing all the individual enhancers (216 K), but the Hoard piles are better.

+6 enhancement to two scores without taking a slot for 54 K. That means the three piles would end up costing 162 K. Much cheaper.

And should someone find your hoard well....it is a lot harder to sneak off with a massive pile of gold and jewels compared to one magic belt.
I want to be born. To live. That is all I want. -Aura

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2014, 01:49:59 AM »
And because dragons are superior to belts  :cool

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2014, 11:00:26 AM »
And because dragons are superior to belts  :cool

I'll just take a dragonskin belt and call it a day.
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2014, 12:30:24 PM »
Yes.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2014, 05:07:41 PM »
Yes.

... so Hoard now lets you get all 6 enhancement items, slotless?

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2014, 11:33:31 PM »
I don't see the problem considering the True Dragon restriction and that your Hoard is generally not going to be guarded by you all day every day unless you're an NPC.

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2014, 04:05:38 AM »
I don't see the problem considering the True Dragon restriction and that your Hoard is generally not going to be guarded by you all day every day unless you're an NPC.

Even as a normal feat Hoard is poweful as heck. Pretty bad that its biggest failing is not having any 'As Is' epic level enhancements.
Then again there isn't an Epic Belt of Magnificence either.
I want to be born. To live. That is all I want. -Aura

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2014, 04:33:27 AM »
If there was, it'd be outside the budget of even the Epic WBL chart in the books. A 30th level character only gets roughly 3.4 million GP :p
That's only a +8 to 5 of 6 stats at market prices D:

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2014, 07:19:38 AM »

True Dragons get it for free for eating 2k of treasure.