Author Topic: General Monster Feats, Flaws and Traits  (Read 55638 times)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: General Monster Feats, Flaws and Traits
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2014, 01:07:53 PM »
I still don't see the problem.

Paying 38k less gp for the Hoard option isn't a very big difference when you're able to afford the Belt.
Also, you can just craft the belt for 100k. Oh hey! +6 to everything for 62k less than the Hoard!
Because every party has a crafter :p

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2014, 01:25:34 PM »

Paying 38k less gp for the Hoard option isn't a very big difference when you're able to afford the Belt.
Also, you can just craft the belt for 100k. Oh hey! +6 to everything for 62k less than the Hoard!

Plus being slotless.

And 'you can craft it!' is a reaaaaally bad argument. Because I don't think I've been in a party with a crafter.

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2014, 09:24:15 PM »
The belt is so rarely useful, though. Only the most MAD characters can make use of it, which Dragons are notably not. Sure, you could pay less money to get bonuses to every stat, but Wisdom and Intelligence aren't doing much for a dragon. Dexterity does add a bit, but probably not worth the investment.
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2014, 12:02:41 AM »

Plus being slotless.

And 'you can craft it!' is a reaaaaally bad argument. Because I don't think I've been in a party with a crafter.

Usually because online games don't appear to tend to have much in the way of ingame downtime with the awesomely slow pace they go at already. Plus minmaxers. Ummmmm, basically, just cause you haven't been in a game with a crafter doesn't mean a large majority of games don't involve crafters :v
I've never played a game without a crafter before I started joining games on Minmax.  :tongue

And when they do involve crafters, they'll go for as many cost reductions as possible :v

Look, you're arguing Hoard being bad from the perspective that just any ol' person can pick it up but they can't. It's niche and highly specific. It's locked in to a single creature type, and even then a very small, select list of creatures within that creature type compared to the enormous amount of monsters that populate every D&D game that isn't a dragon much less a True Dragon.

If you're a PC Dragon (if you can even get a DM to let you be a True Dragon; it's definitely not a common occurrence), you open yourself up to constantly having to worry about the safety of your Hoard because of course the DM would use it as reason to threaten it. Either because they can or because they think it adds something to the character or game or whatever or something else. Also you're then apparently playing in a game that allows homebrew material and mere +s to some Ability Scores is among the tamest things you could do.

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2014, 12:41:39 AM »
Um Ketaro. I'm not sure what you mean by 'locked to a specific creature type' the only mention of that sort of thing is how dragons can get it as a Bonus Feat by devouring 2K of treasure.

It doesn't say it is Dragon exclusive. Only that dragons are the only ones able to get it in that way.
I want to be born. To live. That is all I want. -Aura

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2014, 12:46:15 AM »
The "Free bonus feat for 2k" aspect of it is creature locked :v

I may have run off on a slightly unrelated tangent midway that post.

But my point is bonuses to ability scores is the least efficient way to boost a character's power in this game :tongue
Much less one that is open to homebrew and thus that feat.
This is far from overpowered in any sense.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2014, 07:15:29 AM »
It's ridiculous to argue that it's fine to get slotless boosting stacking like that because in a game with a good crafter you could get better stuff cheaper. It's 54k for +6 to two stats, slotless. If we had just one item doing that, it's be somewhere in the vicinity of 125k anyway, and the BoM version has 270k. But that's being generous about how the stacking works, else it's either 400k (Doubled Belt of Magnificence costs) or 576k because of item stacking. Or, with the 'three different items' thing: 375k.

Either way it's more expensive than simply getting a belt, and it isn't an argument for balance that if you have a Caster, and if the GM lets them, they can create this frankenstein statbuff item far more cheaply than it should otherwise be available.

Also, everything except the 'extremely generous' version costs more than your piles of dosh without extra cost-cutting. :eh

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2014, 12:55:18 PM »
Having the +6 to everything is also something that takes a lot of time to build up to. You don't have it just cause just picked up the feat. You could have it, eventually, but it's not instant power bump like every other feat. The feat doesn't even do anything until you have some spare money to put away.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2014, 01:20:16 PM »
Just like you don't get a +6 Belt of Magnificence at level one or the instant you get 2,000 GP.

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2014, 01:39:55 PM »
Belt of Magnificence also doesn't require a feat to wear. :P
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2014, 02:00:40 PM »
Belt of Magnificence also doesn't require a feat to wear. :P

It's a feat if you're most monsters. Not if you're a dragon, though. If you're a dragon, it's 2k. Yeaaaah.

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2014, 03:36:56 PM »
And theres the simple detail Ketaro that while investing in enhancements to your ability scores isn't the best way to up your power, it still doesn't hurt and the main reason people don't is because they have something better to fit in the slot, or they use a spell as needed.

Having an effectively permanent Cat's Grace that can't be dispelled makes it a non-issue for item slots making it far more appealing since it doesn't end up as an either/or argument. You just need Gold which tends to be the least of your worries at high levels.

Course, I like the wearing magic items from your hoard without them physically being there the most. No physical indication of just what kind of stuff someone has at their disposal. And you can switch gear just by focusing for a little bit. Also works great for Deceivingly Innocent Form, and the Titanic Creature's final stage of This Isn't Even My Final Form.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2014, 11:55:19 PM »
Does nobody know that you can actually use Dispel Magic on magic items to suppress them? Even if it's not a commonly used tactic, it's still a thing.

On that note, considering the text in Hoard about it not working in an AMF and that it can't be disarmed or sundered, I do feel it should be susceptible to Dispel Magic, Greater Dispel Magic, and Disjunction type effects. The Dispel checks being made against, say, 10+1/2HD instead of the item's caster level (which would totally stupid easy to make by default even at low levels). Disjunction just being a normal Will save by the creature with Hoard like the spell usually allows.

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2014, 05:32:38 AM »
I can't quite agree with the disjunction.

The spell only affects what is in the area and that doesn't include the Hoard, only the creature the Hoard is connected to. (unless you are fighting a boss within their vault)

I could see it severing your Hoard connection until you visited it and spent the time attuning to it again. But a possibly cross planar disjunction.....not so much.

Both effects are plenty dire and either is easily capable of killing a player.

But just turning their gear in their vault into useless scrap vs forcing them to retreat to regain their stuff. Well I know all too well how a little extra prep time can benefit a BBEG.

People with useless scrap will try to soldier on. People who have had their stuff effectively stolen are gonna want it back asap.

Course my way is a lot more evil since it robs you of ALL the gear in your Hoard and not just the ones you currently have 'equipped'.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 05:36:10 AM by Rekmond »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2014, 07:47:26 AM »
Well yeah I meant Disjunction to just sever the connection until they took the time to revisit it, not turn their hoard into useless junk -_-'

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2015, 02:41:30 AM »
Does "Extra Option" apply by default to every monster class with choices?  (With the pre-req changing accordingly)?

For example, would it apply to the Flesh Golem's choice sets?  I'm asking, in particular, because of the "Frankestein's Madness" options.

Best,
David

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2015, 07:40:17 AM »
No, it doesn't apply to every monster class with choices (cogh Paragon cough) unless otherwise noticed, but Flesh Golem looks like it would be ok being able to take it, so added it to the list.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2015, 08:37:37 PM »
Savage (Trait)
You've grown on primitive lands or in isolation, and thus highly suspicious of fancy magic items. In return, you've learned how to fully unlock your potential.

Prerequisite: Levels in a monster class.

Benefit: You gain the following benefits.

(click to show/hide)

If you're a PC or a named NPC that isn't somebody's cohort/minion, you also gain six Ancient Skills chosen from the list below. With each level up you can choose new abilities to fill those slots, or with one year of uninterrupted meditation.

If you're slain, your body wields high quality materials that can be harvested as essence for crafting magic items worth the average treasure for your level (or WBL if you're a PC or named NPC that isn't somebody's cohort/minion).

Loss: You don't know how to read and write unless you spend 2 skill points for that. You also don't know how to speak any widely known language unless you spend another 1 skill points to learn Common. You cannot benefit from magic items on your possession, nor mundane items worth  more than 10 GP besides non-magic non-masterwork weapons you're proficient with. Neither can you benefit from abilities that allow you to absorb a magic item's essence like the Tarrasque's Assimilation. You can still benefit from such items used by others, like riding in somebody else's airship, as long as you're not piloting it. You must still claim your fair share of the party's treasure, and spend it in exotic extravagant foods (which you can share with others, as long as they eat it on the spot). Or eat the treasure itself. It's full of important nutrients to keep you going!

If you're brought to life after your essence was harvested, you must consume treasure equal to the average treasure for your level (or WBL if you're a PC or named NPC that isn't somebody's cohort/minion) to regain your Savage bonus, until then you're too weakened to fully unleash your abilities.

(click to show/hide)

Special: A Savage creature can't take Vow of Poverty, as they wouldn't be rennouncing anything.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:36:14 PM by oslecamo »

Offline CDTalmas

• I'm not new any more!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2015, 01:18:39 AM »
It, um... needs some cleaning up. That said, it's full of juicy abilities and a decent little boost to a character not using magical items. Surprised it didn't have the option for no eating, drinking, sleeping, etc.

Do abilities from lower levels stack with abilities from higher levels? I see many untyped boosts that would definitely stack with each other, even if the wording needs some fine tuning.

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2015, 02:39:58 AM »
It's a fun idea and a different take on Vow of Poverty.  There are many fixes, but I don't believe I've ever seen one with the idea of giving "slots" of abilities to represent the items you could have had.

General Thoughts:
1.  It might be nice to relate this even closer to items ... you can have a "virtual" item in a slot with a value up to X gp.  This also saves you of needing to spec out a ton of abilities
2.  I'd suggest adding some abilities that give movement powers.  Flight especially, but potentially other things as well.

Best,
David