Author Topic: Harssaf  (Read 11543 times)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
Harssaf
« on: June 04, 2012, 03:27:56 PM »
Harssaf

HD: d8
LvlBABFortRefWillSpecial
1+1+0+2+2Desert Body, Blades of Shifting Sands, +1 Dex
2+2+0+3+3Desert Vision, Skin of Burning Sands +1 Con
3+3+1+3+3Improved Skin of Burning Sands, Flaming Aura, +1 Dex
4+4+1+4+4Mirage Shield, Sand Pulse, +1 Con
5+5+1+4+4Sand Form, Master of the Blazing Ambush, +1 Dex

Class Skills: (2 + Int modifier, x4 at first level) Climb, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (Nature), Listen, Move Silently, Spot

Proficiencies: Harssafs gain proficiency with all simple weapons, with the Kukri, and with Light armor, but not with shields.

Class Features:

Desert Body (Ex): Harssafs lose all other racial bonuses and gain monstruous humanoid traits (basically dark vision 60 feet). They are Medium-sized Monstrous Humanoids with a base speed of 30 feet.

In addition, they gain a bonus to Natural Armor equal to their Con modifier.

Blades of Shifting Sands (Su): Harssafs are deadly warriors, specializing in the use of dual blades and blazing heat to assault their enemies. As a free action, the it may conjure twin kukris out of the shifting sands that compose their bodies, instantly forming in his hands. These deal damage as normal kukris (Base slashing damage of 1d4, 18-20/x2; but see below), though the Harssaf may elect to apply its Dexterity modifier to attacks and damage in place of its Strength.

Furthermore, when the Harssaf makes an additional attack as part of a full-attack action with his off-hand kukri, both attacks use his full attack bonus, taking no penalties for wielding two weapons. Any further attacks, such as those from a high base attack bonus, take penalties as normal. Attacks with any other weapons also take normal penalties to attack.

Once a sand-kukri is formed, it remains as long as the Harssaf wills it to do so, though he may not have more than two sand-kukris formed at any given time; He may return the blades to sand as a free action. The blades can be broken (they have hardness 10 and 10 hit points); however, the Harssaf can simply create another as a free action. Even if the Harssaf finds himself inside places where magical effects do not normally function (such as within an antimagic field), he can attempt to sustain his sand-kukris by making a DC 20 Will save. On a successful save, the Harssaf maintains his kukri for a number of rounds equal to his HD before he needs to check again. On an unsuccessful attempt, the blade returns to mundane sand.

Stat boosts: The Harssaf gains a +1 to its Dexterity score at levels 1, 3, and 5 of this class, and a +1 to Con at levels 2 and 4, for a total bonus of +3 Dex and +2 Con at fifth level.

Desert Vision (Ex): Harssafs are used to traveling in the blinding environs of the hot desert, and have adapted to see clearly there. At 2nd level, the Harssaf becomes immune to blindness effects, and gains a +1 bonus to Spot and Listen checks, +1/2 HD. It also gains blindsense out to 30 feet.

Skin of Burning Sands (Ex): The rough, grainy skin of Harssafs makes makes them seem as though they are composed of the fire and sand of their home terrain. The Harssaf gains the Fire subtype, becoming immune to damage from Fire but becoming vulnerable to cold, taking 50% more damage from sources of cold damage.

Improved Skin of Burning Sands (Ex): At third level, the Harssaf gains DR/bludgeoning equal to 1/2 HD (improving to magic & bludgeoning at 8 HD), as well as Fast Healing equal to 1/2 HD.

Flaming Aura (Su): At-will as a free action, a harssaf can generate an intense fiery heat. This aura takes the form of a miragelike shimmering around a harssaf's body. Any creature that merely touches him while the aura is active, or is struck by his melee attacks takes an extra 1d6 points of fire damage. Sustained contact results in the fire damage being taken each round. Only metallic weapons or the harssaf's sand-kukris conduct this heat, though harssafs rarely wield wooden weapons when they use this ability since doing so typically renders the weapons useless after a few rounds.

The damage from this ability increases by 1d6 for every additional 5 HD that the Harssaf gains.

At 6 HD, the aura extends. Creatures that approach within 5 ft. take 1d6 points of fire damage for every round they remain within range. For every additional 6 HD you gain, the damage increases by 1d6.

Mirage Shield (Ex): The desert is home to deceitful magics and treacherous backstabbers, and Harssafs have built up defenses against these. At fourth level, the Harssaf gains spell resistance equal to 11 + HD, and gains Lightning Reflexes as a bonus feat.

Sand Pulse (Su): Once per day per 3 HD as a standard action, the Harssaf can generate a sand pulse in a 30-foot radius spread centered on itself. All creatures within the area must make a Reflex save (DC equal to 10+1/2 HD+Con Mod) or take 1d6/HD points of damage from the high-powered blast of sand and be blinded for 1d4+1/4 HD rounds. Success negates the blindness and halves the damage.

Creatures that do not rely on eyes to see are unaffected by the blindness but can still take damage from the sand pulse. Harssafs are immune to the sand pulses of other harssafs.

Sand Form (Su): At will as a standard action, a Harssaf can assume the form of a pile of mobile sand. This ability works as the Gaseous Form spell, except the Harssaf is composed of sand instead of vapor and it cannot fly, though they are affected as though by a continuous Spider Climb effect (As the spell) as long as they are in Sand Form; the Harssaf may resume their normal form as the same action used to assume Sand Form. Harssafs in sand form slither along the ground and can fit through gaps or crevices less than one-quarter inch wide. At 8 HD, they may assume Sand Form as a move Action. At 11 HD, they may assume this form as a Swift action, and at 14 HD, they may assume it as an Immediate Action. At 10 HD, they may fly as normal for the spell.

Master of the Blazing Ambush (Ex): At fifth level, the Harssaf has become a prized member of his clan and a paragon example of his race. His flaming aura burns hotter than the Desert sun, and so all fire damage that he deals bypasses 1/2 of a creature's fire resistance, although creature immune to fire still take no extra damage.

Beginning at 10 HD, even a creature immune to fire takes 1/2 fire damage from a Harssaf, up to a maximum equal to the Harssaf's HD.

Comments
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 03:11:56 PM by VennDygrem »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
Re: Harssaf
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 03:28:05 PM »
Harssaf Racial Feats

Sear [Racial]
Creatures hit by both of your sand-kukris are overcome by agonizing pain as their flesh is seared by the hot sands.

Prerequisites: Harssaf, Blades of Shifting Sands ability, Flaming Aura special ability
Benefit: If you hit with at least two sand-kukri attacks in a given round, the target must also make a Fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 HD+Dex Mod) or become stunned for 1 round. Creatures with fire resistance are merely staggered on a failed save, while creatures that are immune to fire or stunning are still susceptible to this effect, though they gain a +5 bonus to their save. Creatures vulnerable to fire (such as those with the Cold subtype) are instead Paralyzed by this ability for 1d4+1/4 HD rounds.

Each additional attack with a sand-kukri that successfully hits the target increases the save DC by 1.

Improved Blades of Shifting Sands [Racial]
You begin investing more of the innate essence of the desert within yourself into your sand-kukris. Your confidence and skill make them stronger and deadlier.

Prerequisite: Harssaf, Blades of Shifting Sands ability, 3HD
Benefit: Your sand-kukris gain a +1 enhancement bonus to attack and damage. Increase this bonus by +1 at 7 HD and every 4 additional HD from there. Furthermore, you can enchant your sand-kukris as though they were normal weapons, though you must spend money to enchant each blade separately. For the purposes of determining the cost of these additional enchantments, treat the blades as just +1 weapons and determine cost from there. For instance, even if you are level 8 with +2 sand-kukris, you need only spend 6000 gp to add the Keen property to one of them.

Elite Desert Champion [Racial]
You are a true desert warrior, and a legend to your clan. You can exist in the center of a burning inferno where the oxygen and moisture have all been burned away, and the blistering heat from your body's aura melts cold attacks before they can even reach you.

Prerequisite: Harssaf, Flaming Aura special ability
Benefit: While your Flaming Aura ability is active, you may fully ignore the extra cold damage you normally take as part of the vulnerability to cold gained from the Fire subtype. Furthermore, while your aura is active, the miragelike shimmering distorts your body, granting you concealment of 20% as though under the effects of the Blur spell. This concealment overlaps with, but does not stack with, other sources of concealment. The See invisibility spell does not counteract the blur effect, but True Seeing does.

Additionally, you no longer need to breathe and require half the water each week to survive, though you still need to eat as normal.

Curse of Corrupting Sands [Racial]
As your blade pierces your opponent's hide, it discorporates into mystical sand. Creeping into your enemy's wound, it attempts to corrupt their mind, making them a loyal puppet.

Prerequisites: Harssaf, Blades of Shifting Sands ability, Flaming Aura ability, 9HD
Benefit: You gain the ability to invoke a powerful desert curse upon your enemies.  As a standard action, make a single melee attack using one of your sand-kukris. If you successfully hit the target, you may forego all damage from the attack to invoke the curse. The target must make a Will save (DC 10+1/2 HD+Con modifier) or become your loyal ally, being affected as though by a Charm Monster spell (treat your caster level for this effect as equal to your HD). Once per round you may also issue an order to the creature as though with the Command spell. Creatures immune to Mind-Affecting effects must still save versus this ability, though they do so with a +5 bonus. This curse cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed with a break enchantment, limited wish, miracle, remove curse, or wish spell.  The creature suffers no ill-effects if the curse ends naturally, but if broken, the target and any creatures adjacent to them immediately take damage equal to your Flaming Aura's bonus fire damage.

You may only have one creature affected by your curse at a time. You may choose to break the curse as a free action at any time during its duration.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:27:45 AM by VennDygrem »

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 03:42:28 PM »
This class here looks like one of my new favourites. I'm just worried that too many at-will abilities may make it too powerful. Mind you, I like me a powerful class.
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 03:51:43 PM »
Well, most of its defenses come from being immune to fire, or some light, easily bypassable DR, and its NA is based on its secondary stat rather than primary. I was mostly following the advice that melee classes should have more abilities, while casters should get less, and this is definitely a melee creature class.

It is a bit heavy, though, and I'd be willing it reduce some of those abilities to a number of times per HD, if feedback calls for it.

As for Sand Form, keep in mind that as an analogue to gaseous form, you can't attack while in sand form, and you can't use any of your Supernatural abilities, such as Flaming Aura. Plus, the monster gets that one at-will, though that's obviously not an indicator to gauge for these classes.

Any other thoughts on the abilities?

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 10:03:06 PM »
Anyone else have any thoughts? Should I limit the Sand Form? Make it 1 or 2 /HD maybe? At some point it needs to be able to afford to stay in sand form pretty continuously, so it can set up ambushes properly, but I can understand if at-will (like the monster) is too much.

Also, any other comments? Is the class too much?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 02:50:45 PM by VennDygrem »

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 10:35:43 PM »
I don't actually think Sand Form is too much, as he cannot attack and becomes easy as hell to hit. Some DR helps to cancel that, but big whoop. It is just damn cool for fluff, and still handy for a few things like scaling walls, blending in with the sand, and being a general badass.
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 06:21:50 PM »
None of those abilities are OP per se, but I feel like it has too many many of them for such a short class. Some sugestions on how to adress that.

-Flaming Aura is kinda too good for first level. Auto damage to anything nearby is brutal at start, not to mention +1d6 on all your attacks. Between super-finesse and extra attacks, the first level probably is good enough even whitout it.
-On the other hand, Greater Blades of Shifting Sands doesn't strike to me as very apropriate to this monster. I would say take it out and move Flaming Aura to here, and then upgrade Flaming aura to give a base +1 magic enanchment to your weapons. Then make the fire damage scaling.
-Then make Elite Desert Ambusher or Sear a feat.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 07:26:35 PM »
Hmm, good points, definitely.

-Flaming Aura is kinda too good for first level. Auto damage to anything nearby is brutal at start, not to mention +1d6 on all your attacks. Between super-finesse and extra attacks, the first level probably is good enough even whitout it.
Originally I didn't have this at first level, but upon rereading Awakened Gelatinous Cube, noticed that it gains its acid at first level, and it scales roughly how I have the fire scale (I actually changed mine to match AGC). I do agree that it's too much.

Of course, acid isn't resisted nearly as much as fire, so I'm pretty ok with the fire damage this monster class deals. It starts off dealing more damage than many creatures, but later on most of its damage is going to be resisted or blocked by immunity, which is mostly why I added Elite Desert Ambusher in the first place.

Moved back where I had it on my first draft, level 3, and pushed the heat aura range of 5 ft. to 6 HD (the amount the original creature had), limiting the damage to the Harssaf's attacks and contact with the Harssaf.

-On the other hand, Greater Blades of Shifting Sands doesn't strike to me as very apropriate to this monster. I would say take it out and move Flaming Aura to here, and then upgrade Flaming aura to give a base +1 magic enanchment to your weapons. Then make the fire damage scaling.
You're right. Mostly I was trying to build in a way to get his weapons enchanted, like someone using mundane kukris could do. Maybe I'll make a feat for this purpose as well.

Removed Greater Blades of Shifting Sands, and pushed Sand Pulse to level 4 to compensate.

-Then make Elite Desert Ambusher or Sear a feat.
Removed Sear, and changed Elite Desert Ambusher to Master of the Blazing Ambush.

I'll make up several feats to restore some of the class features I wrote, while allowing some players to play something closest to the original creature as written. Since they no longer have to take Two-Weapon fighting or Weapon Finesse, most players will have the room to take these extra racial feats if they so choose.

::edit::
Feats written, though I have no idea how to balance feat prerequisites. :???
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 07:57:53 PM by VennDygrem »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 08:16:24 PM »
Noticed that the extended aura still dealt a silly amount of damage automatically, so I lessened it considerably.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 06:17:10 AM »
Looking much better now, but the extra damage from flaming aura to weapons scales too fast. It should probably scale at the same rate as the area option, an extra d6 at 6 HD and every 4 HD thereafter.

Feats look good as well, but Improved Blades of Shifting Sands should have a 3 HD prerequisite, and probably grant you a minimum enanchment bonus of +1so it does something right away, otherwise you have to wait until 6th level to pick it and for it to do something. Also a clause that it counts as just as a +1 weapon before adding extra enanchments, since a +2/+3/+4 weapon would be considerably more expensive to further enchant.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 09:32:26 AM »
Changed Improved Blades of Shifting Sands as recommended.

Changed Flaming aura to +1d6 every 4 HD from every 2 HD. Still mulling over recommended damage progression.
All the bonus damage is fire damage, which is going to be resisted or blocked heavily the more you progress. So, while you may be capable, at say level 11, or doing more damage than a Wizard/Sorcerer (1d4+3d6+4 average x 4 attacks, vs. 11d6 or more with CL boosting), the caster is hitting multiple targets and can usually choose spells with other damage types to circumvent resistances/immunity, plus many of their spells will carry rider effects. The Harssaf can reliably get off two attacks out of those 4, with decreasing probabilities for the third and fourth attacks, and it's only against, likely, one target. I'm too lazy to do the math, though, so I'm not sure where the scale tips here.

I'm just wondering where to draw the line. This is a melee monster class that deals a good amount of damage and not a lot else, and I know the idea generally is to give melee classes a chance to remain at least somewhat on par with casters. So how do we accomplish that here? Or do we? If reducing the damage, how does the damage output compare with a rogue with sneak attack damage?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:35:19 AM by VennDygrem »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 08:09:39 PM »
I'm wondering, if I reduce the damage even more, does that make room for adding some other kind of effect to make up for it? Something that maybe wouldn't stack with itself on further hits in a round? Thoughts?
I want this thing to be able to stand on its own, and compete properly. So far I'm less sure that it can, and I'm not sure what I can do with so few levels to make it a competitor.
----------

Thought of something. What if the sand-kukris naturally did a small amount of fire damage outside of flaming aura? For instance, an amount equal to your Con mod or something? That might help make up the disparity between this and a rogue-like class, at least, if such a disparity exists. I could make the "greater finesse" part of the Blades of Shifting Sands ability into a feat to make up for it. Sorry if this is treading back into dangerous territory, it's pretty late and I'm just tossing ideas around now.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:56:14 AM by VennDygrem »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 12:47:25 PM »
Changed Flaming aura to +1d6 every 4 HD from every 2 HD. Still mulling over recommended damage progression.
All the bonus damage is fire damage, which is going to be resisted or blocked heavily the more you progress. So, while you may be capable, at say level 11, or doing more damage than a Wizard/Sorcerer (1d4+3d6+4 average x 4 attacks, vs. 11d6 or more with CL boosting), the caster is hitting multiple targets and can usually choose spells with other damage types to circumvent resistances/immunity, plus many of their spells will carry rider effects. The Harssaf can reliably get off two attacks out of those 4, with decreasing probabilities for the third and fourth attacks, and it's only against, likely, one target. I'm too lazy to do the math, though, so I'm not sure where the scale tips here.
A key detail you're missing here is that the Harssaf is just a 5 level investment. At level 11, you'll have 6 levels of other stuff, like martial adept levels for some maneuver goodness, or monster prc, which will definetely boost your numbers and grant you extra abilities.

I'm just wondering where to draw the line. This is a melee monster class that deals a good amount of damage and not a lot else, and I know the idea generally is to give melee classes a chance to remain at least somewhat on par with casters. So how do we accomplish that here? Or do we? If reducing the damage, how does the damage output compare with a rogue with sneak attack damage?
Well, you're gaining blindsense, DR and SR, area blindness/damage and some other tricks over a rogue, so not too shabby right now.

I'm wondering, if I reduce the damage even more, does that make room for adding some other kind of effect to make up for it? Something that maybe wouldn't stack with itself on further hits in a round? Thoughts?
I want this thing to be able to stand on its own, and compete properly. So far I'm less sure that it can, and I'm not sure what I can do with so few levels to make it a competitor.
Again, that's a limitation you have to acept. The Harssaf is not suposed to compete with medium-level characters because it is still just a 5 level class. What you have to think  is how competetive is a Harssaf 5/barbarian 1 with Whirling Frenzy and then some warblade 5 levels for some Tiger Claw Goodness.

On the other hand yes, you could include an option where you can choose to deal less extra fire damage in return for some carrier effects. I would sugest making it a part of the Elite Desert Champion feat, since otherwise it seems a little lackluster now.

And speaking of which, Sear could have some immunity-piercing since we're at it.

Thought of something. What if the sand-kukris naturally did a small amount of fire damage outside of flaming aura? For instance, an amount equal to your Con mod or something? That might help make up the disparity between this and a rogue-like class, at least, if such a disparity exists. I could make the "greater finesse" part of the Blades of Shifting Sands ability into a feat to make up for it. Sorry if this is treading back into dangerous territory, it's pretty late and I'm just tossing ideas around now.
Eeerr, that's starting to enter into "fully redesign class" teritorry. What about you think about my other sugestions above?

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
Those are good points, and I'm going to think of ways to implement them since you've got a lot more experience with this. The only reason I questioned the damage output was my experience with the Gelatinous Cube and its Acid+Paralysis in the span of 3 levels, but I keep forgetting that it only gets one slam attack and that's a natural weapon, and of course it's got a lot less options other than hit or engulf enemies. It's not too hard to get more natural weapon attacks, though, as I've found in a build I made to test the PrC I wrote up for it.

There's definitely room to mix the Harssaf with martial adept levels for some fun things, though martial maneuvers tend to be single-attacks rather than focusing on multiple attacks. Mixing Harssaf with Rogue would make for quite a good bit of bonus damage, and of course the monster's favored class is Monk; barring the core Monk's brokenness, mixing the Harssaf with one of the dozens of Monk rewrites would pair very well.

Sorry if I was coming off a little pissy or anything.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 04:05:32 PM »
Made some changes. Reduced Flaming Aura's bonus damage progression on both attacks/contact, and the aura damage progression. Also boosted the feats, and wrote a new feat out of the additional ability I was going to give Elite Desert Champion. Decided it was too powerful to combine with the others, especially since I thought it should be gained at a later level than EDC, and so it became its own feat. EDC was boosted and gained a new scaling ability as well.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 09:52:48 AM »
Permanent Concealment with some extra goodies for a feat is already pretty sweet, making it scale to 50% is overkill if you ask me.

Curse of Corrupting Sands needs a better wording. You need to hit your oponent, but then spend a standard action on the same round? How are you suposed to use this whitout a way of gaining an extra standard action in the same round since you already had to use at least a standard action to attack? :psyduck

Otherwise the Curse looks good, I would just sugest raising the HD requirement to 9 HD, more of the level where you should be gaining that kind of power.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 11:29:07 AM »
Alright, raised the HD requirement of curse and cleaned up the wording to reflect the actual intent.

Also removed the concealment scaling and added a bit to cover the fact that the ability doesn't stack with other sources of concealment, it only overlaps.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 05:14:49 AM »
Looking good all around, added. Congratulations on your first monster class!

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 10:52:11 PM »
Decided that the capstone's method of bypassing fire immunity was still too high and didn't really balance against their bypassing of resistance. Kept the cap, but halved fire damage dealt, up to the limit of the cap.