Author Topic: Quick ToB-based swashbuckler  (Read 2759 times)

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
Quick ToB-based swashbuckler
« on: November 10, 2011, 08:16:15 AM »
This is a repost from BG, slightly modified.

The idea is to get a somewhat quick and dirty swashbuckler as a (semi complicated) swordsage ACF. Note: Assume the swordsage has full BAB (I'm houseruling that in my games).

Step 1:
Start with a Swordsage.

Step 2:
Decrease good Will save to poor advancement.

Step 3:
Change all Wisdom-based class features to Charisma.  Any maneuver that references Wisdom or Intelligence now uses Charisma.

Step 4:
Remove access to Stone Dragon and Desert Wind.  Add Iron Heart.

Step 5:
Gain a new class feature at level 1:

Acrobatic Recovery (Ex): If you successfully make a Balance, Bluff, Jump, or Tumble check as part of a move action, you may recover one expended maneuver.  You cannot recover a maneuver that you used this turn.  This does not count skill checks made as part of a maneuver, but it does include things like using Tumble to avoid an attack of opportunity, or Balance to move off of a Grease effect, or Jump to clear a chasm.  You can use Bluff to feint if you have the Improved Feint feat, or some other means of feinting as a move action.

Step 6:
Gain new class feature at level 3:

Parry (Ex):
As an immediate action, the swashbuckler can make a melee attack roll with one of his weapons in response to a melee attack.  If his attack roll exceeds his opponent's, then the attack misses.  Effectively, the swashbuckler may opt to replace his AC with his attack roll.

Step 7:
?

Step 8:
Profit!

Step 7:
You now have a Cha-based swashbuckler!

So, does this look like something fun to play? How does it compare to a warblade? That's sort of what I was aiming for power wise.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
Re: Quick ToB-based swashbuckler
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 07:39:32 AM »
Okay, I know this is super old, but I was thinking about it again recently. I was curious how people felt about Acrobatic Recovery and Parry. I know that Parry is effectively at-will Wall of Blades, but I don't think it's over powered. If anything, my biggest concern is that it kills the point of taking that specific maneuver.

Does this seem playable? I suppose I could create one as an NCP to run side-by-side with the group and see how it performs.
My creations

Offline Bauglir

• Constrained
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:51:35 AM »
You might make it 1/encounter or something. Taking the maneuver, then, gives you extra attempts.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 12:01:23 PM »
You might make it 1/encounter or something. Taking the maneuver, then, gives you extra attempts.
I suppose there is that thought. It seems weird and arbitrary, but so is the rest of the ToB per-encounter system.

I kind of like keeping it open-ended, because:
1) You always have uses for swift actions next round (especially as a swordsage), and
2) I like the thought of a swashbuckler doing lots of parrying.

Also, this helps bolster a not-so-great AC and d8 HD.
My creations

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 12:17:25 PM »
You might want some additional Int synergy, since the usual Swashbuckler's kit is Dex/Int/Cha.  Note that it's a bit awkward to have Bluff in there without some Int synergy since it's Improved Feint which requires Combat Expertise, which requires Int 13.

Are you sure you don't want to up the HD to D10 like regular Swashbuckler?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:22:26 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 04:19:39 PM »
You might want some additional Int synergy, since the usual Swashbuckler's kit is Dex/Int/Cha.  Note that it's a bit awkward to have Bluff in there without some Int synergy since it's Improved Feint which requires Combat Expertise, which requires Int 13.
I would avoid that because I don't want to make the class need four stats to work. They already need Con. I figure Dex/Con/Cha would be fine. Int could be fine in place of Cha, but I wouldn't do it in addition. I figure the Int/Cha choice is whether you want a witty swashbuckler or a suave swashbuckler. Both are valid, I just went with Cha in this version.

As for Combat Expertise, I house-rule that everyone effectively gets it for free, but I wouldn't expect you to know that from this thread.

Are you sure you don't want to up the HD to D10 like regular Swashbuckler?
I could, but I'm fine keeping it d8 from the swordsage. It's actually notable that the first time I attempted this, the ACF was used for the warblade, keeping the Int synergy and changing the disciplines slightly. This, oddly enough, resulted in a swashbuckler with d12 HD.

It felt a little... odd, to say the least.

Thanks for the feedback, by the way, guys.
My creations