Author Topic: Quick question about Dragonfire Bards  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Alexei

• View Profile
Quick question about Dragonfire Bards
« on: February 10, 2013, 04:41:55 PM »
It's nice to see the boards came back to life after a month  :)

I wanted to ask what was the PrC that gave the option to have 2 bardic musics at once and if this could be used to have 2 different Dragonfire Inspirations at once (sonic + fire in my case) and the very minimum level at which I could achieve it. I couldn't find it in the DF Inspiration thread.

I'm building a necropolitan Duelist bardblade or something so my group gets buffs. It's optimization friendly as long as I don't get all the goodies

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question about Dragonfire Bards
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 04:57:35 PM »

I wanted to ask what was the PrC that gave the option to have 2 bardic musics at once and if this could be used to have 2 different Dragonfire Inspirations at once (sonic + fire in my case) and the very minimum level at which I could achieve it. I couldn't find it in the DF Inspiration thread.

I'm building a necropolitan Duelist bardblade or something so my group gets buffs. It's optimization friendly as long as I don't get all the goodies
Remember that you're immune to morale bonuses...

Anyway, both War Chanter and Seeker of the Song give dual songs.  War Chanter gives it around ECL 10, and Seeker of the Song around ECL 12.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Alexei

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 05:18:57 PM »

Remember that you're immune to morale bonuses...

Anyway, both War Chanter and Seeker of the Song give dual songs.  War Chanter gives it around ECL 10, and Seeker of the Song around ECL 12.
Was DFI a morale bonus? It doesn't specify on the feat description, quoting the relevant bit "Each ally so inspired loses the standard morale bonus on weapon attack rolls and damage rolls. Instead, he deals an extra".

I did read that as DFI not being a morale bonus, because it only says "adds an extra damage bonus"

Offline Rebel7284

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 07:21:08 PM »
Bardic music gives a morale bonus.  DFI never specifically overrides that. 

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »

I disagree.  The part about "Instead of the standard morale bonus..." definitely implies that the extra fire damage is not a morale bonus.  Besides, I've never heard of extra damage dice that have a typed bonus.  How would you even say that?  'A morale bonus of Xd6 fire damage?'
Not to say that you couldn't read it the other way, but it seems more contrived to me. 

Regardless, presumably he's taken the feat that lets undead be affected by his music, or else why bother?
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Alexei

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 03:19:17 AM »

I disagree.  The part about "Instead of the standard morale bonus..." definitely implies that the extra fire damage is not a morale bonus.  Besides, I've never heard of extra damage dice that have a typed bonus.  How would you even say that?  'A morale bonus of Xd6 fire damage?'
Not to say that you couldn't read it the other way, but it seems more contrived to me. 

Regardless, presumably he's taken the feat that lets undead be affected by his music, or else why bother?
Yes, I picked it. Sorry for not bringing it up. The whole undead thing is because I want immunity to the Words of creation nonlethal damage so it is a must to be:
a) immune
b) able to heal that in a swift action (or a free action if possible)

If you know of a cheaper (feat-wise) way to heal a few d4's of nonlethal damage quickly, please tell. It should be doable 1/day

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 03:44:26 AM »
This might depend on how your DM rules WoC to work.  While it technically doesn't say the user gains no benefit if it can't take the nonlethal damage, one of the themes in the BoED is making sacrifices to gain beneficial power, thus a DM might say that because you are circumventing the nonlethal damage you can't gain the benefits of the feat.  There's also the issue about being undead and using it, depending on how the character came to be undead perhaps.

As for healing up the damage, effects that heal hitpoint damage also heal an equal amount of nonlethal damage.  I'm not quite sure what would work as a free or swift action except for maybe the Vigor line healing every round.  Or contingent cure spells.  Or perhaps inflict spells since you're undead?

If it wasn't for a warforged's charisma penalty I might have suggested that race and the Improved Resiliency feat to prevent nonlethal.

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 11:22:17 AM »
fwiw, in practice, the non-lethal damage ends up being trivial.  My gf played a WoC Dragonfire Inspiration Bard without any immunities, etc. to non-lethal damage and it didn't really matter.  This was between 6th and 12th levels and in a small party without a dedicated healer.