Author Topic: Chapter 2: Haxan  (Read 65604 times)

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 2: Haxan
« Reply #780 on: August 27, 2024, 06:03:51 PM »
You succeed as no one seems to recognize it or have interest.  They bring out a massive tome bound in an odd looking leather.  You don't like the look of it, and it's clearly what everyone was here to get, given that they all suddenly focus on it.  Opening bid is DC 18.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 27, 2024, 06:35:19 PM »
Similarly, Elizabeth just watches. Is Niemand still staring? Are the Haxan still focused on him?
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 27, 2024, 06:40:11 PM »
Everyone is scrambling to bid on the book.  DC is now 21.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 27, 2024, 07:54:38 PM »
Is Niemand bidding as well? Elizabeth continues to watch.
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 28, 2024, 04:19:10 PM »
Yes he is.  DC is now 24 if you're interested.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 28, 2024, 08:31:25 PM »
Elizabeth doesn't feel like making herself the target of assassination. She keeps an eye on those bidding to see if anyone looks like they're going to try something. She listlessly flips through her Latin book, pretending to read it, while watching the competition.

Perhaps she can try to sneak a peek at the book later as a rat once she learns whom acquires it.
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: August 29, 2024, 06:03:35 PM »
Give me a willpower save

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 29, 2024, 07:43:43 PM »
Will = 1d20+6
Rolled 1d20+6 : 6 + 6, total 12
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: September 01, 2024, 01:38:57 PM »
You become frozen in place, along with the rest of the rooms occupants.  Except, it seems, for niemand.  He walks up and hefts the book off it's stand before turning to the crowd and saying "We all know why none of you can be allowed to have this.  Have no fears, I'm not using it for it's intended purpose, but I cannot allow any of you to use it for that purpose either.  Some things you just don't meddle with.  Some things you just put down."

And with that he is gone, and everyone can move again.  It is bedlam.  Most rush out of the room trying to see if Niemand is outside, with the rest getting into arguments.  The auctioneer, desperately trying to ignore that something just altered reality around him, tries to calm things as he still has items to sell.

On a side note, if anything gives you a clue as to how powerful Niemand really  is, this was it.  Few, if any, mortal beings could do what he just did, even for the brief moment in which he did it.  Especially without being seen.

Are you staying for the rest of the auction?  It looks like a lot of the competition is leaving.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: September 02, 2024, 06:59:42 PM »
Elizabeth wants to get to a private spot where she can spend a minute changing into a hawk. She'd like to get a bird's eye view of the area to see if she sees any sign of Niemand.

She doesn't plan on interfering, but she has a newfound (albeit very cautious) respect for him. Both in terms of raw power, but in his seeming restraint. He could have done far worse.

Does she have the two books on her person that she bought, or are they picked up at the end of the auction?
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: September 04, 2024, 06:50:05 PM »
They get picked up at the end when you've paid for them.

You can see the constables and Haxan running hither and yon trying to find him, when you hear a voice in your mind.  "Fly due west, and you will find me."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: September 05, 2024, 11:33:51 AM »
Elizabeth flies west, but tries not to go too high as to not draw undue attention.
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: September 05, 2024, 06:47:44 PM »
You find Niemand and a few acquaintances (?) in a field, sculpting a circle of some kind.  "You're just in time.  I hope you have some energy left.  You may need it."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: September 05, 2024, 09:15:42 PM »
"I was hoping to be able to find you. I could infer some things from watching you and the Haxan earlier, but I am definitely mostly in the dark.

I appreciate you keeping this from them, even if I don't know what it is. I was only at the auction to see if I could figure out who killed my men. I won't pretend to know what your motives are, but I hope that you'll appreciate me asking for at least some information of what is going on."

Depending on his answer, she will ask "Do you need any help?"

Elizabeth doesn't want to overextend herself of put herself into an inescapable situation, but she doesn't want to fight or appear hostile. What do the "acquaintances" look like?
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: September 06, 2024, 06:50:31 PM »
"This has nothing to do with the events of several nights ago.  The Enemy is on the loose, or at least one of their more powerful minions, and this book contains a binding ritual for it.  If we can't send it back where it came from, the end is inevitable.  If either side had won the auction, they'd have been fool enough to try to control it and use it as a weapon.  It's creator will not permit that.  Not that the government has the experience to perform the ritual properly.  The Haxan do, but they are about to go into civil war.It knows of the book, and it will find us.  We are preparing to face it if you wish to assist.  Personally, I would flee if I were you."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: September 06, 2024, 07:16:18 PM »
"And if you fail? What happens to everyone?"

Does she feel he's being (relatively) honest? Sense Motive = 1d20+11
Rolled 1d20+11 : 3 + 11, total 14

Also, are the people he's associating with ostensibly human?
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: September 07, 2024, 06:49:00 PM »
You assume he's not fibbing.  The 5 new acquaintances vary from what looks like 3 normal women, to a heavily clothed figure who obviously is not, to a native who could go either way, 

"Everyone come here.  I need to explain things to all of you, as some of you know various bits of what's happening, but none of you knows everything.  I'll begin with some hard truths. Think of Life, the universe, and everything as you know it as a page in a book.  The other pages of this book are other worlds and places.  The art will allow you to travel to them, but I don't recommend trying it until you are powerful enough to have left mortality behind.   There used to be powerful beings, known by many names, which you have heard me refer to as The Enemy.  They are powerful enough in relation to us that they could be considered Gods, and they exist simultaneously on every page of the book.  Or at least they used to.  There are beings more powerful yet, and they do not like being challenged by power hungry young upstarts.  They banished The Enemy to the spaces in between the books pages, imprisoning them there for some time.  Not forever, as that is not possible, but long enough that it would seem so to us."

"The Enemy left it's cults behind though, and these cults can travel from page to page in some worlds.  They can spread the knowledge of the Art to developing Species who do not have the Wisdom to use it properly.  These useful idiots open doors that allow allies of The Enemy in, which allow them to open larger doors yet.  Which allows for more powerful allies to be let through.  It creates a self reinforcing loop.  Whilst bound to a local town for a time, I noticed one of these allies.  An invisible creature that was the size of a house that began threatening the smaller local communities.  I have encountered it's like before.  It is a Child of the Enemy and a mortal being.  A demigod.  It is here to pave the way for it's creator by changing this world to one they will find comfortable.  Our goal is to bind it, and send it back Outside.  We are not likely powerful enough to kill it, depending on how developed it is.  Left unchecked, it will spread the Art through tainted lessons that give people the illusion of power,while also corrupting them in ways that make them more like The Enemy than their native species.  They will alter both society and the physical world in ways that make the world more like those controlled by their Masters.  Most of the worlds population will die, and reality will become something else.  Not quickly mind you.  It will take it generations.  But it has time, and it is as weak now as it will ever be.  If we manage to survive this, we must hung down it's mortal parent so as to ensure that this does not happen again.  I know this leaves a lot of questions unanswered, but we are pressed for time.  We must complete the circle before it arrives, so if you must ask anything, do it as you work."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: September 08, 2024, 01:45:36 PM »
"I know Exile and Banish, and I have the ability to detect portals and supernatural beings, although I am a novice at all of these things. What can I do to help?"
My creations

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: September 08, 2024, 01:46:56 PM »
(Also, Sanity and Humanity costs for Animal Form)

Sanity:
Rolled 1d3 : 2, total 2

Humanity:
Rolled 1d3 : 2, total 2
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: September 08, 2024, 03:36:24 PM »
"I know Exile and Banish, and I have the ability to detect portals and supernatural beings, although I am a novice at all of these things. What can I do to help?"

"Preferably?  You're here to shoot anyone who tries interfering.  And perhaps fill in if one of us falls."