Author Topic: D&D 1E: You must be this lucky to play a Paladin  (Read 15586 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 1E: You must be this lucky to play a Paladin
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 10:30:51 AM »
Everbody has already agreed that 1st edition = AD&D, you guys can talk about something else now.   :P

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 12:41:44 PM »
What about AD&D 1.5?  :sofa

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »

That's Unearthed Arcana, a very controversial book among 1st Edition fans for incredibly high-powered stuff (like Drow PCs and the Cavalier class).

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 03:26:37 PM »

I love it when people associate the entire history of Japanese cartoons with Dragon Ball Z-style shenanigans ...

But but ... Dragon Ball Z is the entire history of Japanese cartoons.
Sheesh  :P

Lords Of Madness and 4e, provide an easy way out.
Level up the monsters to make it "scary" and level down
the monsters to make it a cakewalk / monty hall.
Properly embraced, the same mechanics can be used
for both types of games, and everything in-between.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 03:29:52 PM »
1E is Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, the numbering didn't start till the next edition.  The 1e moniker was retroactively applied when 2E AD&D came out.
That's how I've always seen things.

Yep.
There's enough in common in AD&D going from
1e to 2e, that the occasional confusion happens.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Hallack

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • With Jetpacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 05:29:10 PM »

That's Unearthed Arcana, a very controversial book among 1st Edition fans for incredibly high-powered stuff (like Drow PCs and the Cavalier class).

Cavalier was okay but I loved the Barbarian!!

Offline Agrippa

• I'm not quite sure what to say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 11:49:29 PM »

Offline Hallack

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • With Jetpacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 03:01:17 PM »
Those Dragon Mag maneuvers that you spent Weapon Prof. to purchase.  Those rocked.

Found it, Issue 165, Maneuvering for Victory article :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:35:22 PM by Hallack »

Offline Votan

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2012, 11:27:44 PM »
Don't forget the "random missile and melee attack" rule.

It might actually be an interesting rule to try out, so long as both sides used it.  It would prevent some types of meta-game optimization of targets. 

Offline GenghisDon

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 10:01:57 AM »
Well, 3d6 for PC stat generation in 1e AD&D isn't really viable/desirable, according to it's primary author. There are quite a few OD&D & classic D&D gamers that play 1e AD&D with those/their game's assumptions, but the 1e DMG gives 4 methods for character stat generation, the first being 4d6 drop lowest, arrange to taste.

Method 2 is "All scores are recorded and arranged as in Method I. 3d6 are rolled 12 times and the highest 6 scores are retained."

Method 3 is "Scores rolled are according to each ability category, in order, STRENGTH, INTELLIGENCE, WISDOM, DEXTERITY, CONSTITUTION, CHARISMA. 3d6 are rolled 6 times for each ability, and the highest score in each category is retained for that category." 

Method 4: "3d6 are rolled sufficient times to generate the 6 ability scores, in order, for 12 characters, The player then selects the single set of scores which he or she finds most desirable and these scores are noted on the character record sheet." (see 1e DMG pg 11 for all)

Furthermore, right at the start of describing ability scores in the player's handbook, Gygax wrote: "The premise of the game is that each player character is above average - at least in some respects - and has superior potential. Furthermore, it is usually essential to the character's survival to be exceptional (with a rating of 15 or above) in no fewer than two ability characteristics. Each ability score is determined by random number generation. The referee has several methods of how this random number generation should be accomplished suggested to him or her in the DUNGEON MASTERS GUIDE. The Dungeon Master will inform you as to which method you may use to determine your character's abilities." 1e PH pg 9, underline mine

So while it is true that one has to be lucky to play a few classes or combos (paladin, monk, bard, dual class humans), generally the only actual limitation is when one is very UNLUCKY, as defined by rolling a stat of 5 or less.

Offline RogerWilco

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 09:20:50 PM »
We played ADnD 2E according to the book as it was our first game. The 2E PHB states the 3d6 x 6 as the standard method and the others as optional, so that's what we did. Our Wizard had a Charisma of 4 and we had plenty of stats below 10.

When our fighter died, he rerolled and got really high stats and played a Ranger. At first we were amazed, but very soon we found out that he was much more powerful, effectively a few levels higher, which made things less fun in the long run.