Author Topic: [CO Handbook Material] Familiar Brainstorming!  (Read 6463 times)

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• View Profile
[CO Handbook Material] Familiar Brainstorming!
« on: August 14, 2012, 05:56:30 AM »
Expand on list of awesome familiars - imps, coure eladrins, lantern archons and musteval guardinals, beguiler, some mephits (mirror mephits ftw), etc.

I think that true power lies in Imbue familiar with spell ability, spell-linked familiar, imbue with spell ability (the cleric one) and spells like arcane fusion, mage's lucubration, etc.

Useful and cheap equipment.

Wands, eternal wands and UMD, but that's known already.

Ranged attacking familiars + unseen seer + shared hunter's eye + possibly lurking familiar (don't think that's necessary though)!

Generally buffs like antilife shell, antimagic field, etc that can be shared with familiar.

Can lantern archons use items? If yes, very very cool. If not, how they can teleport 50lbs of items with them?

Changeling wizards probably get additional awesomeness for familiars - if you count their 5th level substitution AND that can get the recaster prestige class, so that they can get spells from other lists that can potentially share them with their familiar for extra power.

Pseudodragon + mindsight might be an awesome combination. So is stiched flesh familiar + lifesight + spellstitchting it.

PhaedrusXP mentioned using magic jar. That sure has some uses.

martial study + martial stance feats.

Dragon familiars + dragon archetypes

Max intimidate + high charisma familiar (mephit?) + Imperious command on it.

Ramaloke posted: Dragon Familiar Feat + Loredrake + Spell-Linked Familiar + Psychic Reformation to grab your Familiar Precocious Apprentice & Practiced Spellcaster = Your familiar is a 2nd level sorcerer with a 2nd level spell. (haven't checked if it works or not)

Breath of the waves graft on your familiar (Once per hour, you may breathe on an adjacent creature (or yourself) as a standard action to instantly rid it of the following condtions: exhausted, fatigued, nauseated, paralyzed, sickened, or stunned. If dying (at –1 to –9 hit points) the creature automatically stabilizes at its current hit point total.)

You can share or cast mental pinnacle on your familiar.

Pearls of speech are cheap and help your familiar talk.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: [CO Handbook Material] Familiar Brainstorming!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 03:06:42 PM »
Double up on DDoor, Teleport, and other Person + # touched spells. You touch some number of targets, your familiar touches the rest.

Have your familiar hold the charge on a short duration touch buff spell. When combat starts, your familiar can apply it to a distant ally (or yourself), granting the buff when it's needed and where it's needed while still letting you cast your spells for the round.

Offline Elric VIII

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 07:13:32 PM »
If your familiar has fingers/toes it can wield a Stormfire ring (faerie fire + some damage 5/day for 5 rounds, mental activation). This is borderline unfair when paired with a classic fog BFC Wizard.

How do you feel about familiar replacements? There are a few from Dragon Magazine that I have seen, such as a bonded staff or a PRC that gives you a living spell familiar.

Offline Ithamar

• I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 07:32:21 PM »
Cast / share Greater Dimension Door, which lasts rounds / level and lets you DD as a move action.  Familiar readies an action to DD both of you out of harms way every round.  So you always get your actions, and basically never have to worry about anything (besides Anticipate Teleportation!).

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 12:34:26 AM »
If you're updating your old one, you should add gem scarab (Monster Manual V), sailsnake (Monster Manual IV), and tirbana eyewig (Monster Manual V) to your list of improved familiar options. 

Personally, I've been a little annoyed at being unable to find a list of non-improved familiars, so I made one. 
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:41:35 AM by Maat Mons »

Offline Empirate

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm not as new as my post count suggests!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 05:59:24 AM »
Sharing spells that add attacks is fun and good for profit. Low-level: Cloud of Knives. High-level: Lightning Ring.

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 03:17:30 AM »
Double up on DDoor, Teleport, and other Person + # touched spells. You touch some number of targets, your familiar touches the rest.

Have your familiar hold the charge on a short duration touch buff spell. When combat starts, your familiar can apply it to a distant ally (or yourself), granting the buff when it's needed and where it's needed while still letting you cast your spells for the round.

I'm thinking that familiars are like metamagic feats. The first use you're describing is a free Repeat Spell effect and the second a free Quicken Spell effect. I'm wondering how holding the charge + familiar deliver touch spells + the spell Spell Flower interact.

If your familiar has fingers/toes it can wield a Stormfire ring (faerie fire + some damage 5/day for 5 rounds, mental activation). This is borderline unfair when paired with a classic fog BFC Wizard.

How do you feel about familiar replacements? There are a few from Dragon Magazine that I have seen, such as a bonded staff or a PRC that gives you a living spell familiar.

Your familiar doubles up your equipment slots. There are many more useful equipment for it, it's obviously not fair :p The stormfire ring is noted, it's pretty good.

About the familiar replacements, some are ok, since you can regain your familiar using Obtain Familiar. However, I refrain from using Dragon Magazine material in my guides; however that living spell familiar feature sounds TOO good.

Cast / share Greater Dimension Door, which lasts rounds / level and lets you DD as a move action.  Familiar readies an action to DD both of you out of harms way every round.  So you always get your actions, and basically never have to worry about anything (besides Anticipate Teleportation!).

Here's an idea: cast buff spells like anticipate teleportation on your familiar, so that you won't have to worry about targeted dispel checks, since it can hide somewhere that it gets cover/opponent spellcasters can't target it.

If you're updating your old one, you should add gem scarab (Monster Manual V), sailsnake (Monster Manual IV), and tirbana eyewig (Monster Manual V) to your list of improved familiar options. 

Personally, I've been a little annoyed at being unable to find a list of non-improved familiars, so I made one. 
(click to show/hide)

Awesome! Yes, I'm updating my old one, I think it's one of the most underused class features and it has much potential. Is gem scarab or tirbana eyewing any good? I'm away from books right now.

Sharing spells that add attacks is fun and good for profit. Low-level: Cloud of Knives. High-level: Lightning Ring.

Yes! That's good stuff for low levels, it potentially doubles your damage output.

Offline Rebel7284

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 10:25:56 AM »
Lightning Ring seems like an awesome spell to persist, but seems like it would have negative roleplaying consequences. Walking through the town square while shooting lightning bolts can't be good.  I guess aiming them straight up by default is safest.  Still.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 10:28:01 AM »
Use it with a pair of spellblades to charge them up?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Elric VIII

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 01:29:27 PM »
Your familiar doubles up your equipment slots. There are many more useful equipment for it, it's obviously not fair :p The stormfire ring is noted, it's pretty good.

About the familiar replacements, some are ok, since you can regain your familiar using Obtain Familiar. However, I refrain from using Dragon Magazine material in my guides; however that living spell familiar feature sounds TOO good.

Well, even if it doesn't make it into the guide it's a pretty cool PrC. The Spell Sovreign from Dragon 357, p77. It's a 7/10 casting class, and you start with a 1st level spell familiar and eventually get to a 4th level spell, plus you can use a standard action to create a living spell using your own spell slots (and eventually create living spells that consist of two spells at once). You can buff all nearby living spells with an aura. You also gain the ability to rebuke living spells or even imprison them in gems to create charged magic items (charges = HD, does not work on spells that you create). At 10th level you can use Awaken Living Spell as a SLA 1/day for 500exp.

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 04:04:14 PM »
Is gem scarab or tirbana eyewing any good?

Gem scarabs have tremorsense and a nice array of movement modes.  Tirbana eyewings have the ability to grant a creature a new save against an ongoing enchantment effect. 

Offline Kremti

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 12:34:57 PM »
I really love coutre eladins because they can become incorporal. At minimum, it makes a great scout. Also they are bipedal, humanoid shape that can use equipment.

Any spells to share/imbue to really abuse the fact that they can be incorpral?

-K

Offline Empirate

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm not as new as my post count suggests!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »
Another nice feat for familiars: Familiar Concentration (Lost Empires of Faerun?). Allows your familiar to take over concentration on a spell for you. Basically Sonorous Hum with a familiar - and who wouldn't like to cast Sonorous Hum anyway and maintain concentration on two spells while doing other stuff?

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 06:05:01 AM »
I really love coutre eladins because they can become incorporal. At minimum, it makes a great scout. Also they are bipedal, humanoid shape that can use equipment.

Any spells to share/imbue to really abuse the fact that they can be incorpral?

-K

Nothing that I can think of. Are you able to sneak attack while incorporeal (having a miss chance and all that)? Then you could go hunter's eye or something like that. Or if you can't deal with an incorporeal creature yourself, you could polymorph your familiar to something that is powerful and then make it go incorporeal to battle it?

Another nice feat for familiars: Familiar Concentration (Lost Empires of Faerun?). Allows your familiar to take over concentration on a spell for you. Basically Sonorous Hum with a familiar - and who wouldn't like to cast Sonorous Hum anyway and maintain concentration on two spells while doing other stuff?

Actually you can share sonorous hum with your familiar, but it doesn't seem legal to have him sonorous hum'ed his familiar concentration'ed spell and the familiar concentration another concentration spell.

Offline Silveron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 03:33:26 PM »
Encyclopaedia Arcane -  Familiars

Familiar Paths: You can select specialized path for your familair vs standard, by paying a little exp. Like for one time cost of 500 exp you can select Path of the Guardian. Your familiar special abilitys it gains as you level change to a new table in the book that has more protective options then just things like speak with master and so on. Your familiar now has the same HP as you do and stays the same as you when you level and at level 7-8 you gain Protective Ward where if you are within 10 ft of your familiar you only take half damage and your familair takes the other half.

Spells: Training Ritual I-VIII ( Training Ritual I is 2nd level spell, Training Ritual II is 3rd level spell, Training Ritual III is 4th level spell, and so on.)
You cast these in order and transfer exp to you familiar to give it whatever class levels you want.

First one Training Ritual I, spells takes 9 hours and you lose 1000 exp to give one level to your famialir. It does not gain hp but it does gain feats, abilitys of class you give it. Training Ritual II you give up 2000 exp, Training Ritual III 3000, ect. So you can make your familiar into a warlock, a fighter, even a wiz/sorc, but it does not gain a spell book of its own it can only learn spells you know.

Legends & Lairs - Spells And Spellcraft

This book has some nice exp cost abilitys to add to your familiar. Like Alter Form 300 XP(Turns into an object not another creature) Speak Language 100 XP (Can speak a language you know), Size Increase 1,000 XP, 30 or so other things you can add for one time exp cost each.

Oh for got to add (I forget what book its from but I think its from Spells and Spellcraft)

Feat: Greater Familiar - You take this feat to give your familiar a feat (so long as it meets feat prereq.)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:07:02 PM by Silveron »