Author Topic: Chapter 2: Haxan  (Read 65002 times)

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 2: Haxan
« Reply #740 on: July 22, 2024, 07:13:20 PM »
You get the following days edition, and it seems to be the estate auction of a local German immigrant who was somehow fairly wealthy: one Ottman Metzger.  He is described as a wealthy eccentric.  His last name implies either he or his family were once butchers.  German immigrant tend to get surnames which reflect the family occupation.  He seems like an odd sort for inspiring local interest, as Hessian mercenaries were favored by the British forces.  Not that he's automatically one of them of course, but you hear him spoken well of for a disliiked minority.

Also, both your side and the Haxan clearly knew of the auction already, and are trying to get it made  private.

Online RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 22, 2024, 11:22:37 PM »
Will Elizabeth be able to attend? She feels he might have some items of interest.

She tries to ask around about Ottman from various people to see what they knew or thought of him.

If needed: Gather Information = 1d20+6
Rolled 1d20+6 : 12 + 6, total 18
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 25, 2024, 07:03:42 PM »
You'll be able to attend as long as it's public.  If it's made private you may need to lean on someone for a favor.  Ottman has a lot of rumors about him.  He came to America with a fortune, not to make one.  No one knows how he made his money, as he was apparently not the brightest of men, and is widely regarded as rude and vulgar.  He had an obsession with rare things, which many thought to be an affectation, an attempt to disguise his 'brutish nature'.  He is accused of various things, such as piracy, incest, murder, kidnapping, perversion, siding with the British, and even being a warlock of some sort.  There are few crimes not laid at his family's feet.  He is survived by a wife, son and daughter, who have reputations just as bad.  They are the Borgia's of Philadelphia.

Online RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 25, 2024, 07:26:59 PM »
"I'm wondering if there's any truth to the accusation of him being a warlock. That's the first thing I thought of when you said he collected rare things, given that I found out about the auction in an ally that just had several spells cast into it.

Are his family members just coasting on the family wealth, or do they work?"

My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 28, 2024, 01:36:50 PM »
"Officially, they have no job, or at least no one admits to employing them.  Unofficially, it's said they will commit any illegal act if the price is right.  Particularly the son and daughter.  I can't tell you much about the auction, other than the higher up's want something that's being sold."

Online RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 28, 2024, 07:29:19 PM »
During the next couple days, Elizabeth checks to make sure everyone on her side is okay and tries to listen to rumors to see what information (or misinformation is spreading). She tries to keep an eye out for any activity with the ghouls.

If the auction turns out to be public, she will attend publicly. If not, she will try to sneak in as a rat.
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 29, 2024, 06:32:42 PM »
gimme a gather information check

Online RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 29, 2024, 11:19:00 PM »
Gather Information = 1d20+6
Rolled 1d20+6 : 9 + 6, total 15
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: July 30, 2024, 06:36:05 PM »
Ottman's son, Ulrich Metzger, is known for attacking women who are on their own.  He often goes into the poorer quarters of the city at night to troll for victims.

Online RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: July 30, 2024, 08:52:06 PM »
Does anyone give any reason for why this is allowed? Is this just an unproven rumor or is it a case of bribes?

Elizabeth's ire is temporarily up, but she wants to actually verify this.
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #750 on: July 31, 2024, 06:49:58 PM »
He's a known petty criminal, and lots of crimes are laid at his feet, some of which he's actually done.  But there have been eyewitnesses who came forward about the other things.  The problem was that those witnesses were of 'questionable virtue', and his father was a wealthy man who "contributed to society".  At least the family attorney said so, though you can't find any evidence that he spent his wealth on any one but himself.  There's also the fact that a lot of people seem openly afraid of them.  Were the accusations against them not beyond the pale, you doubt there would be people angry enough to speak up at all.

Online RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 31, 2024, 08:21:16 PM »
Elizabeth's interest is piqued, but she's not going to spend a bunch of time spying on him, yet. She'll focus her efforts on making sure the peace is kept over the next few days, keeping an eye out for ghoul or witch activity, and prepare to go to the auction (either as herself or a rat).
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 02, 2024, 07:34:33 PM »
You gain the use of your new spell finally.  Things seem tense but peaceful.  The ghouls and the city seem to avoid each other.  The auction comes round and appears to be public.  It mostly appears to be old books, which is odd given the nature of the man you have heard tales of.

Online RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 04, 2024, 09:31:00 PM »
Before going to the auction, Elizabeth casts Mental ward, taking four points of ability damage to give herself a +2 bonus.

Are any of the books familiar to her by title/author? Is there anyone she recognizes who is showing an interest? Are people allowed to inspect the books at all before bidding?
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 05, 2024, 06:00:53 PM »
Give me a knowledge tmwnmtk check

Online RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: August 05, 2024, 07:01:59 PM »
Rolled 1d20+15 : 7 + 15, total 22
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: August 07, 2024, 06:23:13 PM »
There are many occult or mythological texts, and a few with actual purported spells.  Due to age they are not allowed to be handled.  One book is kept under lock and key, and discussed only in the vaguest of  terms.  You're betting thats the one that holds everyone's interest.

Online RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 07, 2024, 06:48:28 PM »
Elizabeth doesn't old any allusions that she'll be able to acquire that book, and even if she did, she figures that'd make her a target. Her intention is to pay attention to who makes offers on the book, who actually buys it, and who else is showing intense interest, even if not openly making bids.

Meanwhile, she'll try to buy a couple of the esoteric texts, ideally at least one with a (maybe) spell or two. She has a Wealth Bonus of 21, so she's hoping to get at least something. Again, she cast Mental Ward prior to coming.
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 08, 2024, 06:57:30 PM »
ooc: lemme look up how wealth works again in d20 Modern, and I'll post some quick and dirty rules for the auction over the weekend.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 11, 2024, 07:31:32 PM »
ooc:: the weekend did not go as planned.  Increase your wealth bonus by +2 to reflect ongoing pay.  We'll just have you make wealth checks to place a bet (so to speak) to see if you can afford it.